the Philly win

Hi list, as some IGTC posters already have noted, last
night was a type of watershed in the development of
Obie's team, in one specific sense at least. Even in the
latter stages of last season, how many games would Boston
have won (handily,I might add) against a .667 team, with
Paul Pierce shooting 4-20? Probably none. I actually
think that.

Boston came in at 6 per game in rebounding differential.
Stand that next to Philly (an outstanding rebounding team
this year) at a whopping +6 on the offensive boards
ALONE. Add in the visceral revenge motivations.

This was a good win. Philly is well-coached and has low
turnovers (13 last night); they also average a ton of
steals (three guys averaging over 2 per game); they
finally have two guys at over 15 points per game to
complement Iverson; and also two guys averaging more
boards than Walker at last check. They might not be a
great team, but they had been playing like one.

On top of that, since we last met in the playoffs, Larry
Brown quietly added a power forward that has produced 20
and 10 so far(well, 19.5 and 9.5). On paper, the Van Horn
trade couldn't have worked out better as an upgrade over
a retirement age, non-factor center. I'm no Van Horn fan,
but I actually felt Philly didnt go to him enough last
night. He's hitting low post shots I've never seen before.

One more thing. Teams would be crazy not to study Larry
Brown's game-planning to defend Paul Pierce. When Boston
isolated him, the Sixers had three guys facing him, with
no obvious kickout or driving lanes in sight. I thought
it was very effective, but hey, "scoreboard, baby!"

This was a good win.

But the actual point I wish to make in this post is this.

By some measures, last night was less an aberration than
a confirmation of a trend.

By that I mean that last night wasn't the first time this
season that Paul or Antoine have shot us into
probable "one of those nights" losing scenarios.

The amazing thing is that we won not just last night, but
several nights this month with Paul or Antoine, or both,
struggling.

To wit, Paul's season stats show a .389FG%. Antoine
Walker is still at .373FG%.

Saint Paul has been dribbling into the lane this month
like his arms are IV'd on novocaine.

And despite two straight "good" shooting games, Antoine's
probably two .500 shooting games in a row away from
getting up to the "Mendoza Line" FG% of .400. He's way
down there.