Re: Mark's got points

From: Tammo29@xxxxxxx

As both you [Joe H.] and Mark have already pointed out, when we go with our small
backcourt we just get killed on defense. It happened in Washington too. We
had Delk, S Williams and Bremer trying to guard one of either Jordan or
Stackhouse for Pete's sake. As the results point out, it wasn't pretty.
True. Actually, I believe Obie's making the best of the bad situation with Brown's injury by playing Shammond and Delk at the same time. Even though it creates a defensive liability, it's probably better than playing Wallah big minutes. On the other hand, I wouldn't think he would have to do it as often as he does.

I don't see any relief unless Brown comes back and shows he's a defensive
force.
That's a big if.
I don't think that Kedrick Brown needs to come in and show he's a defensive force for this defensive liability we're talking about to mostly go away. If he comes in and just plays decent defense, that and his size will probably more than make up for the deficiency. It's a little unfair to say he'd have to be a force, because any reasonably adept NBA player with decent guard size (6'5" - 6'8") would be a lot better than two 6'1" guys in the backcourt.

In a way I feel sorry for O'Brien. What's he going to do? He just doesn't
have the personnel he needs. But, at the same time, shouldn't he have
foreseen this problem before the season started?
Apparently Obie's only the head coach, and while Wallace and he may have discussed (conspired?) personnel moves, it was always Gaston, through Pond, who had the last word. He who controls the purse strings and all. If that wasn't the case, do you really think Obie would have let Rodney Rogers go? In addition, we're the only team running with only a 12-man roster. All in the name of "fiscal sanity". If we could "afford" just one more player, maybe Obie wouldn't be virtually forced into playing two guys barely taller than me in the backcourt at the same time.

Then again, this *is* Jim O'Brien. The likelihood that he would play these two guys at the same time is probably pretty high.

Bird