Re: Mark's got points

"Thanks Tammo, your analysis was awesome. For one thing, it reinforces my
strongest impression that Delk had his worst game in memory, but he'll bounce
back hopefully. Sometimes its unfair to get an assignment on a guy when he's
already red hot. On the other hand, I felt that Houston and the Knicks were
actively taking advantage of the size mismatch once Obie went with Delk. That
was frustrating (because Boston should have been pulling away at that
stage)."- Joe

You're welcome.
I was surprised about a few of those stats myself.  For instance, my first
impression was that Eric Williams  spent the most time on Houston, and gave
up the most points.  Going over the tape I realized that obviously wasn't
true.  Delk and Pierce both spent more time on him.  Delks time was mainly in
the 1st and 2nd quarters.  After intially starting the game on him Eric
guarded him mainly in the 3rd quarter.  Except for the very first play when
Delk was on him (and he scored), Paul guarded him for the entire 4th quarter.
He also guarded him for most of the second quarter until Pierce left the game
with a little over three minutes still to play and Delk took over.
 Shammond Williams only guarded him for one possession, which was in the 2nd
quarter after Pierce went out.  Houston went right after Shammond, and to
O'Briens credit he called an immediate time out and got Williams off him.

As both you and Mark have already pointed out, when we go with our small
backcourt we just get killed on defense.  It happened in Washington too.  We
had Delk, S Williams and Bremer trying to guard one of either Jordan or
Stackhouse for Pete's sake.  As the results point out, it wasn't pretty.

McCarty isn't the answer either.
 I don't see any relief unless Brown comes back and shows he's a defensive
force.
That's a big if.
In a way I feel sorry for O'Brien. What's he going to do?  He just doesn't
have the personnel he needs.  But, at the same time, shouldn't he have
foreseen this problem before the season started?
If we we're only keeping 12 roster spots why in the world are we wasting so
many of them?
Who would we rather have coming off the bench....McCarty or Nailon?
We've got two big guys in Sundov and Wolkowyski that never get off the bench.
How many times do we sign players after a good showing in the summer league
only to find out they aren't what was promised?  (Bremer, Blount)

Obviously we could have done better.  The way I see it there's plenty of
blame to go around.

TAM