Knicks game

The Knicks-Celtics game was an entertaining one to
attend, in part because there was little defense until
the last five minutes. It had a 1970s flavour I thought.

My wife later told me her heart was racing at the end
(she's a huge Pierce fan because he strongly resembles
her kid brother). I should have noticed, because to me
the outcome never felt in doubt despite the impressive
decibel level of the home-opener crowd.

I guess you can say this game was kind of a
belated "thank-you" gift to those Celtics fans who paid
to see that 12-point fourth quarter against the Bulls.
This time, the Celtics had enough controlled intensity
and composure on every key play down the stretch, just
like a quality team is supposed to play when they visit
Madison Square Arena.

The Knicks fans are loud. When they took the lead with 5
minutes left, it was deafening in my section. This was a
home opener and the cheap seats fans are the diehard
ones in a city of 12 million.

I give the five Celtics who closed this game out great
credit for their poise. The captains were freaking
Maximus out there. They all upped the ante on defense
too. The ball would rotate to the weakside, and we'd be
right back in their shirts.

I felt the coach of the game was Don Cheney. The
undermanned Knicks executed their screens and cuts in a
crisp and professional manner, and did a great job of
rotating the ball to the weak side.

The number of uncontested shots allowed was extremely
high again, for the obvious reasons but also because of
commendable execution and play recognition by what is one
of the least athletic but veteran NBA teams out there.

If nothing else, the Knicks players make a lot of money
and have been around the block. They looked "old school"
on Saturday night and were efficient all the way up to
crunch time.

But the outcome also illustrates how hard it can be to
win in the last two minutes through the continuation of
unselfish passing to the open man, even if you are a
Sacramento (much less the Knicks). Players can clam up in
those 5-passes-per-possession late game situations. Its
almost better to leave the ball in one guy's hands.

Ultimately, the game came down to which side had the
playmakers. The Celtics did Boston pround at the end,
because they could isolate two clutch guys on one side to
eliminate the double team on Pierce.

Meanwhile, Allan Houston went scoreless for 10 minutes in
the fourth, and that's unfortunately becoming very
typical of his reputation. I don't think he can
consistently score versus double-teams, like the whirling
dervish Pierce. His boxscore stats also are one-
dimensional in a Ron Mercer kind of way. It was a great
game by an overpaid player.

Obie helped by sticking with his base defense, despite
knowing that Houston was the only guy on the team he had
to stop in order to win. Anytime you survive a 40 point
night, its a good result.

Regarding the Celtics' continued embarrassing defense,
Houston seemed hottest against the smaller guys like
Delk, and he shot over Walker a few times too (a surprise
assignment). Pierce was on him the most in the first
half, and later in the fourth quarter, so it was a mixed
bag.

There may be insufficient data, but I see some evidence
of a cause and effect between Walker's gross shot
attempts and 100+ scoring by the team as a whole.

The Celtics scored over 100 on most nights in the
preseason, when Walker averaged 13 shot attempts.

Against the Knicks, he was on his way to what I thought
was a Triple Double, but it didnt show up that way on
the boxscore. He seemed to be rebounding pretty well too,
but I guess that wasnt the case. A number of his passes
after the first period had the defense on its heels.