Re: [META] List Security Changes questions

From: "Paul M. Moriarty" <pmm@xxxxxxxx>

I upgraded the archive software and it included a feature to blank out
domain names. This is to prevent spammers from harvesting the addresses.
The plan is to now go back and re-apply the changes to the older posts.

As for the easy password thing, it's just a simple way to keep spammer,
e-mail address harvesting spiders from accessing the archives. The spiders
have no way to know that they are on a page that asks for a password that
is supplied inthe prompt/
Well, I guess if I had my druthers, I'd rather see the domain names, but if more people don't mind than do (uh...right), then it's all right with me. Sometimes you've gotta stmyie the spammers.

> I guess I'm asking List Imperator Paul M. to fill us in on the new changes
> when he gets the chance.

hmmm.... (looks up Imperator... ok :)

Of course, if you don't like it, I can change it back.
Excellent. All the power I've ever wanted ... and more! Perhaps people could give you their opinion and you could make an informed decision about whether to keep it or not. I don't get a lot of spam, so I don't worry about my domain name being shown; perhaps others welcome this masking feature more than I realize. It may, though, confuse prospective listers especially, as the software does mask even the list name itself ("celtics@
igtc.com"). Anyway, that's my vote, mein List Ubermensch.

Bird