Re: [META] List Security Changes questions

bird writes:
> It appears that recently, there have been some changes in the list: people'
> s domain names are "xxxx"ed out (even the list's "home" domain is crossed
> out, that is, "Celtics@xxxxxxx"), and you need a password (conveniently
> stated) to access the archives.  There may be more changes, I don't know.
> These don't seem too bad, and may be necessary, but I wonder about the
> usefulness of a password-secured system with easy access to that password,
>  and I did kind of like seeing people's domains.

Sorry.  The changes were made in the last two days.

I upgraded the archive software and it included a feature to blank out
domain names.  This is to prevent spammers from harvesting the addresses.
The plan is to now go back and re-apply the changes to the older posts.

As for the easy password thing, it's just a simple way to keep spammer,
e-mail address harvesting spiders from accessing the archives.  The spiders
have no way to know that they are on a page that asks for a password that
is supplied inthe prompt/

> One reason I ask is because it also looks like the mail converter isn't
> recognizing the quote string (">") is some of my posts, though there are
> known issues with my mail app (the apostrophe thing), and that may be it.

I'll take a look at that one.

> I guess I'm asking List Imperator Paul M. to fill us in on the new changes
> when he gets the chance.

hmmm.... (looks up Imperator...  ok :)

Of course, if you don't like it, I can change it back.

- Paul -