[META] List Security Changes questions

It appears that recently, there have been some changes in the list: people'
s domain names are "xxxx"ed out (even the list's "home" domain is crossed out, that is, "Celtics@xxxxxxx"), and you need a password (conveniently stated) to access the archives. There may be more changes, I don't know. These don't seem too bad, and may be necessary, but I wonder about the usefulness of a password-secured system with easy access to that password,
and I did kind of like seeing people's domains.

One reason I ask is because it also looks like the mail converter isn't recognizing the quote string (">") is some of my posts, though there are known issues with my mail app (the apostrophe thing), and that may be it.

I guess I'm asking List Imperator Paul M. to fill us in on the new changes when he gets the chance.

Bird