Re: Game Three Ending

----- Original Message ----- From: "bird" <birdwl@earthlink.net>

> Say, did you happen to catch the fourth quarter of game three vs. the
Nets?

> I'm all over the map, mainly because I figured they had a chance at the
> half, then lost faith during the third, then regained it minutes into the
> fourth.  You probably know how it is.  Count these guys out at your own
> peril, because if they smell even a *chance* at a victory, they will go
> all out to get it.  Plus, you've got to love a team where they can not
> only weather a between-quarter tirade but even use it to help get them a
> win.  And kudos to Walker, for ranting to begin with.  he was right on
> with what ailed Pierce and let him know it, and whaddaya know?

All it took was for the Celtics to stop worrying about winning the game and
start playing.  Just what Antoine supposedly told them in that huddle.  "I
don't know if we're going to win, but we are going to show them we are no
pushovers."  I've always backed Antoine, even when he made it difficult.
But I never thought he would mature so much so quickly.  He's deferred as a
player when he should, stepped up when they needed it and challenged or
encouraged his players when they've needed it.  Yesterday he was the one who
kept them from throwing in the towel.  He was in Pierce's face, on Battie's
case for not rotating and, for most of the game, the only player who looked
like he wanted to win this game.  He played like a Captain should.  One
thing no one has ever questioned about Antoine is his competitiveness and
desire to win.  Now we're seeing how important that is.

One thing about this series.  The Nets ARE a mediocre team and Jason Kidd IS
overrated.  Oh, he's very good.  He's made some passes that I haven't seen
for a long time.  But MVP?  No way.  He just allowed a team to steal a
playoff game by scoring 41 points and holding his team to 16 in the final
quarter.  Where was his all-NBA defense then?  Why did he resort to chucking
up threes himself when they needed points at the end?  Where was HIS
leadership to keep the Nets from falling apart?  You think a team with
Duncan or Shaq or Iverson would let that happen?  The Celtics are better
than this team and will win this series.  I have no idea how they match up
against the California teams, because I don't watch enough of their games.
Obviously it would be very improbable for them to go all the way, but I'm
certainly not going to assume they can't.  Not anymore.

Jim