Re: See ya, Spurs

> From: "Orion" <jlyell@netzero.net>
>
> I think he is also, he is a one man show. is it not up after next season?
> With Anderson contract coming off is there any way to fit Duncan under our
> cap without giving up Antoine?
>
> sweetasssweet24@aol.com (SweetAssSweet24) wrote:
>
> >Duncan's outta there when his contract's mercifully up, I'm sure.  Walker
> for
> >Duncan still sounds good to me!

It ought to be difficult to take anyone with the name "SweetAssSweet24"
seriously, so here goes.  Latest report out of San Antone is that Coach
Pop gave Tim Duncan the free rein after Duncan's dad died.  Speculation
was that this would be among the reasons Duncan would want to stay.
Sportswriting speculation, to be sure, but apparently the relationship
between coach and player is excellent.  If Pop stays in the organization,
look for Duncan to, as well.  They can put another good team together just
as easily in San Antonio (after the Admiral leaves) as almost anywhere
else (including in Boston, especially if the owner doesn't want to pay the
luxury tax).  Wouldn't be likely to be able to pay three max guys with
that caveat.  Plus, it's warmer in Texas.  I don't think you all who grew
up in colder climes really understand: the vast majority of people who
grew up in warmer ones want to stay in warmer climes.  Apparently, it's a
major factor for many NBA players.

Getting Duncan is a serious pipe dream.  Sure, the team ought to go after
him if/when he's available, but I think we'd have to offer more than the
owner's "fiscal responsibility" and snowy winters.  Plus, I don't think
Duncan even leaving SA is as much of a slam-dunk as "SweetAssSweet24"
seems to think.

Bird