The rookie showing

I do think it is really bad showing for wearing the Laker jerseys. I do think
it is a subtle jab at management for a lack of playing time. I'm sure they
don't feel they are part of the team. I mean, prior to last night's game,
Obie wouldn't even put in Kedrick in blowouts until the last couple minutes
of the game. Still, I think this was Forte's idea and he got Kedrick to buy
in. These guys know that don't wear another team's jersey. However, we still
have to remember that they are punk kids at only 21...

As to last night's game, Dallas has just perfected what everyone else has
been doing to us. You deny the ball to Walker and especially Pierce. You
instantly double on Pierce and you zone on everything else. This forces the
ball to be passed on the perimeter to the other three players and in Obie's
system, if you are open anywhere, you take the shot. I saw the Dallas
broadcast and the announcer commented that the Cs "just have the wrong guys
shooting the ball" after consectutive Williams and Walter missed three point
attempts. But we have been through all that before...

As for the rookies, I would have to say that I was impressed in the
improvement in Kedrick's passing. He seemed much more comfortable in knowing
where the other players on the floor were. He made several penetrations, drew
the interior defense and kicked it to the open man. You don't see many other
Celtic players doing this. This lost art was something Joe Johnson could also
do but Obie's system values 3 point shooting over conventional fundamental
basketball skills. You add this to the rebounding, defense and scrappiness of
Kedrick's play and you continue to scratch you head as to why he isn't
playing more. Then I remember the Wallace comments that these draft picks
could be viewed as bait for future trades (and salary reductions). As for
Forte, I haven't seen anything to indicate why we wasted a pick on him. He
hasn't shown a great shooting ability or  great quickness. So why did we
gamble on him? Why didn't we roll the dice on a point guard or power
forward/center type? I know they thought that they had something in Palacio
and they had a bad taste in their mouth with Moiso. However, Forte's lithe
body and lack of exceptional skills just make him look like a good,
fundamentally sound college player. I would rather go with a Magloire type
who has the NBA body and just needs a little time to develop an NBA game. I
still hold to my position that both the JJ and Kedrick picks were great picks
and the Forte pick was a stinker. Still, you got to wonder if Obie and
Wallace are on the same page....

DJessen33