From: owner-celtics@igtc.com [mailto:owner-celtics@igtc.com] On Behalf
Of Berry, Mark S
Sent: Friday, March 15, 2002 6:25 AM
To: 'Celtics@igtc.com'
Subject: RE: GP vs. Kidd..and the MVP.

First let me say that we're talking about two great players. No
question.

But if you're reducing Kidd's game to statistics, you're missing the
point entirely. As good as Payton is, I'd wager that the Sonics would be
a better team with Kidd at point guard and the Nets wouldn't be as good
with Payton at point guard. Kidd's stats are secondary when evaluating
him as a player. He makes all the other players better. He makes the
team better. Payton does that to an extent, but not like Kidd. In fact,
many of Payton's teammates hate playing with him, while Kidd's
positively gush about Jason. Can I show you stats to prove Kidd is
better? Nope. But you can see it when you watch both players and their
teams.

The closest comparison I can think of is early-career Magic and Isiah.
Magic hadn't become the scorer he eventually was. He wasn't a good
shooter. But even then, he controlled the game. Isiah was an explosive
scorer and racked up plenty of assists, but he didn't dominate a game
the way Magic did. Eventually Isiah improved in that area, but he never
matched Magic. Same with Kidd and Payton. GP doesn't control a game the
way Kidd does.

Like I said, we're talking about two great players. But if you're asking
me to choose a point guard for my team, I'll take Kidd.

Mark