re: end o' da bench

> From: gene kirkpatrick <gk_tyler@xxxxxxxxx>

[demime 0.98e removed an attachment of type application/pdf which had a name of OHHorizontalRule.pdf]
> [...]
>
> If we try for Rodgers and lose, ok.  But if we give away positions and
> money to Blount and McCarty, I think we have lost it before we get
> started.  It's not like we're tampering with the core of the team to cut
> these guys loose.
>
> Cheers,  Gene (enjoying the repartee on Walker and Rodgers.  I feel
> strongly both ways.)

Hi Gene, and this isnt to single you out, but can we not start spelling
Rodney Rogers' name correctly?  As a list, I mean?  Notice the lack of a
"d" in the man's last name.  Granted, people also seem to have problems
with Erick Strickland's name, and Eric Williams', as well (must be
something about the name "Eric" ... er, and "Erick" ... and "Erik".)

Anyway, obviously this is not a huge deal, but a simple way to give guys
who play for our team (or, for the team that "we" target for our media
barrage in order to one day make it to ESPN's "Page 2") some basic respect.
   No one has to worship them or even say they're decent when they don't
think so, but getting people's name right (except for the occasional human
typo or mistake) would seem to me to be the least we could do.  I only
mention it because it seems well on the way to being a habit with some
people, and that'll just make it ubiquitous.

As for actual substance: I agree about Blount, especially.  A seven-footer
with little game and a shocking lack of rebounding skills is just another
seven-footer sitting on the end of the bench.  Maybe the C's think they
can take advantage of the guy's play when he improves, and that's
certainly possible, but I wonder whether it's a question of *if* rather
than *when*, if you know what I mean.  McCarty actually was helpful in
many games, especially later in the season.  His contract is ludicrous,
though, and I'd only want him back for short-term, low-money.  Strick I'd
like to see back -- Delk may grow into a big piece of the puzzle for the
team, but Strick is a better defender, and a marginally better
ball-handler.  As for all-around offense, Delk has shown he's better
throughout his career than Strick, but that means little if he doesn't
produce for the Celtics.  And, anyway, both of these guys are streaky --
having the other around when the one guy is cold may be useful indeed.

Nowadays, it's lack of funds that is the limiting factor -- used to be
that we'd pile on the CBA-level (and under) talent until the team plane
had weight issues.  If Pitino could've had twenty guys on the team, he may
very well have "used" them.  Anyway, I hope we can fill up at least a
12-man roster, and guys like McCarty and Strick may be just the guys to
fill it out.  Wonder how DD and the draft pick will fit in, though... .

And I think I've already made it clear how I feel about Rodney Rogers
being re-signed.  People's views to the contrary only make me feel more
secure in that feeling.

And I share with people their frustration regarding an owner who won't
open up the checkbook and pay for talent.  Talent wins in the NBA.  Talent
also gets paid.  Don't like it?  Get out of the business and sell the team
to someone or something that will pay.  Owners pay.  That's how it is.  I
will wait, though, to see whether Thanksdad actually will sign some checks
over the summer.  If "fiscal responsibility" is posturing, that's well and
good.  If it's about not being able to surround Piercewalker with some
talent, I say that's a big pile of poo.  I agree that Gaston's track
record and public statements seem to support the fact that he won't pay,
but then again, he did give Il Duce the big payoff, and Walkerpierce, too.
   I guess we'll see.  One thing's for sure, though: Nobody wins in the NBA
without paying for it, one way or the other.  I guess they could hope to
max out the potential of all the mediocre guys they have or could have on
the payroll, but I think the NBA's history has shown that it's about guys
who can play.

I hate the offseason.  October can't come around soon enough for me, for
many reasons.

Bird

Re-sign Rodney Rogers.