RE: Vin Baker? (or 'Here we go again...')

Mason would be a nice addition and give us some perimeter help. Did anyone
see Oyedeji play this year? Is he Jermaine O'Neil 3 years ago?

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-celtics@igtc.com [mailto:owner-celtics@igtc.com]On Behalf Of
Berry, Mark S
Sent: Monday, June 17, 2002 11:06 AM
To: Celtic igtc list (E-mail); Celtic yahoo list (E-mail)
Subject: Vin Baker? (or 'Here we go again...')

Did anyone else read the blurb in a much larger ESPN.com story about Vin
Baker believing there's a good chance he's going to be dealt to the Celtics
this offseason? This is the second time I've read it in the last week or so.

So, what do we think?

My opinion... If it's just Vin Baker, you don't touch him with a 10-foot
pole. The contract is monstrous, and he's aging worse than Farrah Fawcett.
The idea of getting stuck with that contract far outweighs any hopes I have
that Vin, back in the Eastern Conference, might suddenly recapture the form
that made him an all-star in Milwaukee.

Having said that, Baker has the kind of disastrous contract that means he
has negative trade value. So the Sonics, in order to dump him, probably will
have to include something of value. What if they offered Baker and Desmond
Mason for, say, Vitaly and Ewill? Or Baker and Radmanovic? If the Celtics
had to give up no one of real consequence, would you be willing to take on
Baker's lousy contract as long as it came with a young stud like Mason or
Rad?

I'd have to think awfully hard about it. If you pushed me, I'd still say no,
but that makes it an interesting question. What do the rest of you think?

Mark