Re: Untouchables

At 12:47 PM 6/17/02 -0400, James A. Hill wrote:
I'll play.

None of the players are untouchable when considering a trade for a true
franchise player like Russell.  This isn't a championship team, yet.
No question if it was Russ or a few others. There are players still called franchise players a level or too below open to debate IMO. I certainly agree with the general principle though. It's not trades per se I was objecting to with the stupid trade comment...

Closest are:  Pierce, Walker and Battie.  In that order. They are the three
players who can have the biggest impact on the team if they continue to
progress.  All three are young, all three have been together awhile now, all
three can play and all three are signed long-term.

I project all three will come into camp in the best shape of their
basketball life and will show continued progress.
Hope so. I'm not real worried about the shape they'll be in, although I honestly think Paul needs the summer off to recover more than playing for the Worlds. I'll buy the point that these three can make the biggest impact if they continue to develop, because the bar on their upside is higher than most of the team. It's a really good point I hadn't given enough weight to in my thinking, and justifies slotting Battie here instead of Anderson, as Doug had suggested and who was my original thought. Kenny has no more upside, we can only hope he maintains. OTOH, Battie's the one of your three I'd have most concern about how much further he will develop, but if he does he could be one of the better C/F out there these days. Do you think keeping Rodgers is key to that development to give him SOME help inside and on the boards?

I don't have much confidence in Wallace, so best to let the team grow
another year, see how they do and see what happens with next years picks and
cap space. Gaston should be shopping for a new management/scouting team this
year and be ready to pull the trigger before letting these guys blow another
draft opportunity.  He could just drafted the picks as projected by
NBADraft.net and have done better over the last few years. IMO.
*Shrug* well I wouldn't hold my breath on Gaston putting a new management team in. I presume the current ones have contracts lasting a few years and it's not likely he's going to pay any more departed contracts than necessary. Also, this one's letting him feel he can get away with ticket price increases without there being any real screaming. I'm not as down on them as you are anyway and don't think a change would necessarily be an improvement enough to rush to drop 'em.

Kim