Re: Ralph Nader

From: Kim Malo <kimmalo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Well FWIW, while I totally agree that it's pretty much nonsense to say Nader's doing it for the money, it did occur to me that it's not impossible he's combining some genuine outrage with some savvy publicity mongering. Now the fact that I was haunted by a pair of PIRGers everywhere I went yesterday probably enters into my thinking on this, but what this does is provide publicity that broadens his usual target demographics a bit more toward the mainstream. Both for publicity per se and for drumming up more young supporters/volunteers who would normally laugh or sneer at Naderisms
Indeed, he (or his PR advisors) certainly has the knowledge that this may be useful to his "image". It is impossible, probably, for a candidate to not be sucked into the vortex of insanity that is our political structure.
Oh, don't get me wrong, representational democracy is a fine system, but that doesn't mean it doesn't have flaws, one of which is the inordinate amount of attention we (as a society) place on image, and how something seems or appears. Our politicians and candidates, therefore, do not, as a whole, focus on issues, but rather image. Since Nader's as human as any of us (except Al Gore, who has a little tag that says "Intel Inside" on his lapel), and a politician to boot, he isn't free from this taint. I have a little faith left in the whole process, but I certainly don't put it all in one man, woman, or political faction.

Derek Lowe's pitching tonight and HE'S a Cs fan, who was at the game 3 comeback leading and generating some cheers.
Thank god for the Red Sox.  This year -- I Think This Is The Year (tm).

Bird