Hello all,

> Of course, one of my biggest gripes makes me sound like I'm "aging." It
> used
> to be in pregame warm-ups, guys practiced post moves. I still remember
> McHale and Kite going at each other working on post moves before every game
> I went to see in Cleveland years ago. Other guys, too. You don't see that
> nearly as much anymore. Guys just shoot.

You do sound old fashioned..
I agree. There are good reasons why the post game isn't what it used to be.

First of all...the big men nowadays have "guard" skills that the post players
back in the day never had. On reason these guys don't post up is because they
can beat
people off the dribble, and handle the rock. Even if they can't do this they
want to play that way. People want to be like Mike, not Mchale.

Second..
Athleticism is favored over post up ability. ..
Coaches look for size and athleticism.

For the most part coaches will favor the "athletic" big man.. Over the big
man
who isn't athletic and has post up skills. Battie..Keon Clark etc.. Over the
big man who can post up. These super althletic freaks never bother to learn
the post up game. Why bother when your 6'10 + and can jump out of the gym.
Granted it would be nice for these guys to learn some post up moves.

But I don't think its nearly as easy as you think. It does take talent. Its
not just practice. I do think the Celts brought in this coach to teach Battie
and Walker some nice post moves. Battie in particular could certainly
benefit. With his size, speed and agility he should be a dynamo instead of an
off guard wannabe. His idea of a post move is a turnaround jump shot.

Coaches just aren't interested in the old school Adrian Dantley types..
We have players like that in the  NBA..but...no one cares. Clarence
Weatherspoon..
He is undersized, posts up and even rebounds. But lets face it he is
marginal.
I would take a Kenyon Martin jumper/defender over that kinda player any day.

3. Defense
Finally and most importantly teams are better at defending the
post..especially
with the new rules. If you have a guy like Shaq who can physically overpower
people..then it still pays off. For the most part though it can be stopped
fairly effectively. Its even easier to stop now with the zone defenses you
can play now.

I wouldn't look for post play to make a big return back to the NBA.
Its a bit like the serve-volley game in tennis...dying...

I think the Celtics lineup with Rodgers/Pierce/Walker/Delk/Kenny is way to
small..and yet doesn't shoot well enough. Rodgers is VERY skilled player..
and I like him. But I am not sure he fits the Celts unless they use him at
the small
forward slot...even then..eh.. Rodgers is going to be hell to resign anyway.
He is one of the best free agenst available this year.

I still say we need a big forward/center type player...like a bigger stronger
Tony
Battie.  V. just won't due as a our back up. He sucks. The Celts need a
deeper team too.

I only like Battie, Walker, Pierce, Kenny, K. Brown, Rodgers and EWill on our
current team. So if Cook can learn to hit the J..and really be the point
everyone says he is, and we add Dale Davis type we should be in business.
This post up stuff
isn't what killed us... The Celts actually have some nifty post players.
Rodgers,
Pierce and EWill all have very good post moves.

K. Brown needs to start though. I thought it really hurt us in the playoffs
that we hadn't developed this guy. I think he could have played much better
then Jeffferson.

Pete