Re: Celtics add a new assistant coach

--- You wrote:
I wish the Celts could cash in on Kenny's value right now, but I just don't
think they'll do it. We'll see basically the same team doing the same stuff
next year.
--- end of quote ---

I'm not sure about that, at least insofar as Kenny's concerned. Remember that
they would've dealt Kenny for Van Exel, had the latter agreed to renegotiate
his contract. Wallace knows they have to sign Rodney and should sign Strick and
maybe even McCarty, and a deal removing Kenny's salary from the books, even
exchanging it for a slightly smaller contract, would make it more likely. Plus,
I get the sense that Kenny isn't on Antoine and Paul's buddy list, and trading
Kenny would not be a problem with them (and we know now that Wallace et al.
consult Paul and Toine on trades, which is probably the prudent thing to do).
The bottom line is, while Kenny's contribution this season was unexpectedly
nice, he still isn't what we need.  Kidd made that painfully obvious. I hate
the fact that the Celtics can't run fast break to save their lives, and Kenny's
partially to blame for that. He trots, not sprints like Kidd, on the break, and
avoids risky passes at the cost of easy scoring opportunities. Alex Wang's
(where has he disappeared?) observation that Kenny is a "safety first" kind of
point guard was right on the money. I remain hopeful that, with the right PG,
Antoine and Paul will see that getting easy points on the break, or via a
motion offense a la New Jersey and Sacramento, beats grinding it out against
double teams.
Kestas