Re: grumpy

Gene, I know what you mean. But I'm hoping this guy is to post play what
Dick Harter is to defense. Of course, if that were the case you'd think he
would have a little more distinguished resume by now, but who knows?

Anyway, my point is, lots of guys can teach defense, but can anyone teach it
as well as Harter? I'm sure the guys they have on staff can teach post play,
but maybe not as well as the new guy. (I'm feeling really optimistic today!)

Of course, one of my biggest gripes makes me sound like I'm "aging." It used
to be in pregame warm-ups, guys practiced post moves. I still remember
McHale and Kite going at each other working on post moves before every game
I went to see in Cleveland years ago. Other guys, too. You don't see that
nearly as much anymore. Guys just shoot.

The amazing thing is that post moves are something anyone can learn with
hard work. They're about footwork and leverage. Some of the best low-post
players I've ever seen were undersized guys-think about Adrian Dantley. You
don't have to be taller or stronger or jump higher. It's one of the few
skills at the NBA level that you can develop effectively without exceptional
gifts (size, leaping ability, quickness, etc.). But guys don't take the time
to develop those moves anymore.

Outside of Duncan, Shaq, Kobe and Jordan (and Hakeem, of course, but he's
finished), how many players in the NBA today really understand how to play
in the post? How good would Webber, Jermaine O'Neal, Antoine or Kevin
Garnett be if they had a developed post game? Pierce has potential. His post
game is getting better-he has great footwork. But he still doesn't
understand how to really establish strong position, hold it and make his
move. He tends to drift out to get the ball and start his moves from the
wing.

Anyway, it's all about practice. If this new coach can get them to practice
and develop that part of their games, more power to him.

Mark

Gene wrote:

Maybe it's just that I'm aging, but with a staff of 4 or 5 coaches and
Russell and Heinsohn around, shouldn't we already have someone who can
teach post play.  Heck, I think I could do it after watching a few films
of Russell and Walton.  How is it that these "coaches" get to the pro
level without the ability to coach the post.  It's not rocket science.