Re: PG

JB offered:
>I happened to call in to the "Zone" yesterday and asked Cedrick
>Maxwell; why Omar Cook was not allowed to dress for the last three games
>at Shaw's. Both he and Dave Jagler presumed that the C's just didn't
>think he could help the team. Max seemed very innocent to the concept
>that it could be punitive, although he did agree with me that it was a
>"slap in the face," as, if they didn't like his play, they could have
>just cut him.
It just doesn't seem like this front office to punish a kid who isn't going
to make the team for no reason.  If they were, Max would have heard of it
I'm sure.  They did give Cook around $100K to spend the off season on the
roster which is more then he made last year in the NBDL isn't it?

Perhaps Cook was being considered in the Baker trade or another trade option
or they knew what they had with Cook and wanted to give the minutes to
Bremer but held on to Cook in case of injuries?  Bremer was 4th in the NCAA
in scoring last year so it's not like he's a stiff or anything.

If Cook has NBA talent he will get another shot somewhere.  It seems that
there is something following this kid from his past or attitude problems
that is holding him back or maybe he is just a bubble player with less then
NBA talent.  In a league with a need for talented PG's there must be a
reason he's not making it.

I was sure hoping that he was that he was that talented PG that fell through
the cracks and landed in our laps.  Maybe Bremer will become that guy.

<Jim

On Monday, July 29, 2002, at 09:03 PM, Kim Malo wrote:

> From what I saw. He's not DJ, but he's more in DJ's PG style of all
> around reliable rather than spectacular vs say Cook, who whatever else
> I may have thought about him, handles the ball spectacularly.
> ***********

	I happened to call in to the "Zone" yesterday and asked Cedrick
Maxwell; why Omar Cook was not allowed to dress for the last three games
at Shaw's. Both he and Dave Jagler presumed that the C's just didn't
think he could help the team. Max seemed very innocent to the concept
that it could be punitive, although he did agree with me that it was a
"slap in the face," as, if they didn't like his play, they could have
just cut him.
	The more I read of astute observers, like Kim and Ravi, who were
impressed with parts of his game, I just wonder why they didn't let him
play a bit more. I mean, they just about killed his chances to play in
the NBA, for anyone, this season at least, by not letting him dress.
	I was reminded of the stunt by former Bruins coach; Casper, a few
years back, who pulled the sweaters off of two players (was it Stevens
and Neely ?) mid game. I can almost understand it in the Bruins
situation, as it was veteran players, who should know better than to
coast through a game, but why humiliate a 22 year old kid?  Although, I
never liked the idea of public hangings either.

		JB