http://www.insidehoops.com/nba072502.shtml

NBA BASKETBALL
July 25, 2002

All Around the NBA, in the Amico Report
By Sam Amico

BAKING UP SOMETHING GOOD

I like the Vin Baker deal.

There, I said it.

In fact, I'll say it again -- I really like the trade that sent Baker and
Shammond Williams from Seattle to Boston for Kenny Anderson, Vitaly
Potapenko, and Joseph Forte on July 22. I even like the Sonics' end of it
(but more on them later).

For now, let's talk about Baker and the Celtics. For now, I'll give you my
very first thought after hearing about the deal:

"Man, if the Celtics get a point guard who can dribble, the rest of the
Eastern Conference is in for some serious trouble."

I mean, can you imagine what happens if Baker becomes the motivated player he
was in Milwaukee? Can you imagine an inspired Baker playing alongside
all-stars Antoine Walker and Paul Pierce?

I can, and it ain't pretty for the rest of the East.

Actually, all Baker has to do is display a little more aggressiveness, and
the Celtics get my vote for the team with the most potent trio in today's
NBA.

We always hear about the outstanding duos -- Shaq and Kobe, Webber and Bibby,
Stockton and Malone, even Garnett and Szczerbiak. But I really like the sound
of Walker, Pierce, and Baker.

Granted, this is Baker who we're talking about, the same man whose passion
was in question during each of his five seasons in Seattle.

As SuperSonics coach Nate McMillan said on the day of the trade, "For
whatever reason, the marriage of Vin Baker and the Seattle SuperSonics didn't
work."

McMillan makes a solid point, as Baker never averaged 20 points per game in
any of his seasons in Seattle. This despite averaging 21 points in each of
his final two years in Milwaukee (1995-96 and '96-97).

Still, Baker was never bad with Seattle. He just never turned into the
all-star the Sonics expected, after unloading Shawn Kemp in that three-team
deal involving Cleveland and the Bucks.

But I like Baker. He just completed his 10th NBA season, and even on his
worst days he brings a certain degree of professionalism to the court. Plus,
Baker is an old-school big man -- meaning he actually has some moves in the
low post, a concept lost on many of today's younger players.

You can bet Pierce and Walker will be pushing Baker, doing their best to
convince him that if he plays well consistently ... well, then the Celtics
are just a point guard away from very big things.

ABOUT THAT POINT GUARD

Right now, the only true point guards on the Celtics' roster are Williams and
Omar Cook. I'm the world's biggest Omar Cook fan, but he didn't play in the
NBA last season, and even I admit that he isn't ready to take a team deep
into the playoffs.

Williams has also proven to be nothing more than a solid backup -- and
there's nothing wrong with that. It's just that solid backups shouldn't be
forced into starting (Indiana's Kevin Ollie, while arguably the nicest guy in
the NBA, supports that point).

So hopefully for Celtics fans, general manager Chris Wallace is still working
the phones, trying to bring in an experienced floor leader.

Of course, if you read my book, "A Basketball Summer," then you know Wallace
NEVER stops working the phones. (Yes, when it comes to plugging my book, I am
shameless).

AS FOR THE SONICS

A lot of Sonics fans have e-mailed me a question with the following sentiment
-- "Couldn't we have gotten more for Baker?"

My answer is obviously not. Let's remember that Baker never got comfortable
with his role as The Guy Who Replaced Shawn Kemp. It would've been difficult
for anyone to replace Kemp in Seattle, and after about six months in a Sonics
uniform, Baker seemed to just shrug his shoulders and give up.

And who knows? Maybe Potapenko will be the hustling big man the Sonics need.
There's still time, as he's just 27 years old.

Also, Anderson will be a wonderful backup to Payton, and the Sonics may even
use Anderson and Payton on the court at the same time.

Finally, I think Seattle may have gotten a steal in Forte.

Yes, he played in just eight games for Boston as a rookie last season,
scoring a measly six points. Yes, he seemed overwhelmed in practice. And yes,
he should have stayed at North Carolina for another year.

But Forte will get an opportunity in Seattle to be a contributor, and will be
taught by a former NBA guard who once got the most out of his abilities in
Coach McMillan.

AND FINALLY ...

Did you realize that the Celtics have now traded two of their three
first-round picks from last summer? Joe Johnson, who the Celtics selected
10th, was traded to Phoenix at midseason (in the deal that brought Tony Delk
and Rodney Rogers to Boston).

And now Forte -- who was selected 21st at the urging of Red Auerbach -- is
also gone. That leaves Kedrick Brown as the lone first-rounder from Boston's
2001 draft. Brown was chosen 11th, but played sparingly last season and is
not expected to be much of a contributor for some time.

SUMMER TIP-INS

More thoughts from the NBA summer leagues:

-- I've really enjoyed watching little point guard J.R. Bremer, who went
undrafted out of St. Bonaventure and is now playing for the Celtics' summer
entry. Of course, I'm a little biased, as Bremer and I are the only two guys
mentioned in this week's newsletter who are natives of Northeast Ohio (we're
also both lying when we say we stand 5-10). Anyway, with Kenny Anderson
having been traded, Bremer has a shot to get called back for veterans camp in
October.

-- Former UConn and Chicago Bulls point guard Khalid El-Amin has resurfaced
as a member of the Minnesota Timberwolves. Just like last summer, El-Amin is
playing very well, and has even outshined T-Wolves second-round draft choice
Marcus Taylor.

-- New Jersey second-round pick Tamar Slay (Marshall) has been outstanding
and appears to be a steal. Slay has shown an ability to put the ball in the
basket, but he's also been a strong passer and ballhandler for a player his
size (6-foot-7). The Nets have 11 guaranteed contracts on a 12-man roster for
next season. So far, Slay has proven he deserves the final spot.

-- John Salmons has looked very good for Philadelphia's summer team, as has
Johnny Taylor. Also, point guard Eric Murdock is trying to return to the NBA
with the 76ers.

-- Remember Chris Porter? The former Auburn standout who was drafted by
Golden State in the summer of 1999? Well, after bouncing around the minor
leagues, Porter is currently battling for a spot in the NBA with Portland.
Josh Davis (Wyoming) -- one of my favorite college players from last season
-- is also on the Trail Blazers' summer roster.

-- Another of my favorite college players from last season, Preston Shumpert
of Syracuse, is currently playing for the Bulls. I would be shocked if
Shumpert made it -- simply because he reminds me too much of one of my other
favorite former Orangemen, Lawrence Moten. (No, I'm not a Syracuse fan. I
just liked those two guys).

-- John Linehan, William Avery, LaRon Profit and Gyasi Cline-Heard are some
of the more familiar names on Utah's summer roster. Cline-Heard is the son of
former NBA forward Gar Heard, and Gyasi went undrafted out of Penn State last
summer.

-- Michael Wright is playing for San Antonio this summer. Wright came out of
Arizona in 2001 as an undersized forward and early-entry candidate. He still
doesn't appear to be ready for the NBA -- although I love how guard Jason
Hart has played for the Spurs (Uh-oh. Isn't Hart another Syracuse guy?).

-- Finally, keep an eye out for guard Tyrone Ellis, a former NAIA
all-american who played in the NBDL last season as a rookie. Ellis is
currently on Dallas' summer roster. He's 6-4 and can play either guard
position. Scouts are also impressed with his 42-inch vertical. But more than
anything, Ellis is said to be just a good person all the way around.

CeltsSteve

"Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulet"