cap space, max contracts, baker deal

Hey I can't find that article..
but wouldn't Kenny have given us nine million or so of cap space? What was
our cap figure before? I am pretty sure the guy in the article was talking
about the cap space he would give us...that combined with some trades could
give us enough cap space to go for someone. Its like what the Magic did.. I
don't think he said Baker cost us a max player.
The problem is, even if you "dump" 10 million in contracts, you can't necessarily add a 10 million dollar one right back.

Lets say the cap is 50 million, the luxury tax is 60 million, and your team salary is 55 million. You get rid of three players totalling 10 million, your team salary is now 45 million. Now you can sign one 5 million dollar player because you cannot go over the cap to sign a FA.

Plus a 4.5 million exception if you haven't used it, and the 1 million exception slot as well. You cannot combine them. This is what Alex meant I believe...Also someone had done the math during the year and figured there would be almost no way to sign a Duncan FA class player to a max contract (unless we went into that year with 7 players or something stupid like that). Wallace had alluded to that previously as well.

You've now spent $500k more than you cut and still haven't exceeded the luxury tax. And (making the simplistic assumption that salary equals talent) maybe you dumped an 8 million dollar guy and the best of the 3 you're getting in return is a 5 million dollar guy.

The more I think about it, this is a great trade given the directives from the owner and the constraints of the CBA. That is however, a lot different from saying I love this trade period.