> Just because we added Baker (who has a max contract) through trading
> does NOT mean we could have added a max contract player next year
> through free agency. And a sign-and-trade would have required both the
> agreement of the player in question AND the other team - unlikely unless
> we gave up major talent. In any case we can still acquire guys through
> sign-and-trade next offseason - Baker doesn't preclude that.

Hey I can't find that article..
but wouldn't Kenny have given us nine million or so of cap space? What was
our cap figure before? I am pretty sure the guy in the article was talking
about the cap space he would give us...that combined with some trades could
give us enough cap space to go for someone. Its like what the Magic did.. I
don't think he said Baker cost us a max player.

Either way this trade bites..its the wrong way to build a team nowadays.
You will have three high priced players taking all the cap money and nine
nobodys who probably can't play (unless we develop a draft pick...)

What you really want to do is sign two or three free agents who are better
then they are going to get paid. And this happens all the time in the NBA -
now. Guys aren't quite worthy of the max figure will only get around the mid
level exception.

Look at the roster now..three solid guys..and nine barely NBA guys..with
maybe the exception of Brown. Thats not going to get it done. Even worse only
one of our max guys is really worth the max.

Pete