letting go

I have read the various posts, most of them negative, about the recent
trade.  Just to add my two cents worth, the part that hurts for me is the
breaking of any continuity or the disrespect towards loyalty in this whole
affair.  The part that works for me though amounts to the same rationale.

Last year was a very special year for the Celtics and for the Boston sports
scene.  If the Patriots had gone to the big game and lost; then dumped Drew;
would it go over as well.  I don't think so.  It would have been a breaking
of some chain of potential perceived more in what the team accomplished than
what, on paper, it looks forward to in the upcoming year.  On paper, could
the Pats or this year's Celtics be expected to repeat the feats without a
move, I don't think so.

Without Rogers, an injured and inactive V., another potential off-year by
Kenny, what did this lineup have that it didn't during the 36 win years.
This change brought two experienced commodities: Baker who could score more
than V. and take up space more than Rogers and a point guard who is younger,
more hungry, and can shoot the 3.  As well, the combo of Williams and V. off
the books next year translates to 7 mill which is only 3 less than
Anderson's discount alone. When it comes down to it, while Paul and AW
eroded against the Nets last year, no one had the scoring ability as the 3rd
options; not Rogers, not anyone.  Here, Baker and Williams bring points and
instant productivity.

Having said all of this and working it out logically, does it hurt?  It sure
does.  It was a special year last year with magical qualities that we can't
expect to happen again this year.  With the limited roster spaces available,
I believe the brain trust had to find ways to maximize each slot by finding
commodities that could produce right now.  It is the way of the game these
days.

Richard Quan

Email: r.quan@rogers.com (24/7)
       rquan@canada.com (web-mail)