Re: Baker

On Sunday, July 21, 2002, at 09:01 PM, Orion wrote:

Basically everyone on this team except Pierce should be tradable, even
Walker at the right price. The difficult task is finding a taker. But if
Seattle can find a taker for Baker as Milwaukee did for Kemp, Washington did
for Juwon Howard and his ludicrous contract, anything is possible. Going for
prospects is a risk for us as our brain trust's track record of draft picks
and trades over the last 5 years has been horrendous.
Whereas the prospect aren't risks for the other teams because their braintrusts are so much brighter than ours, right? The Howard trade involved Dallas, which negates any real applicability to the Celtics situation, because Cuban will overspend whereas Gaston will not. As for moving Howard to Denver, that was another kind of deal. That deal was "we'
re getting rid of NVE" and little else. Howard's salary just worked. I forget the particulars of the first Kemp trade, but neither Kemp nor Baker had "bad contracts" at that point, because they were both dominant power forwards at the time. Notice Kemp ended up in Portland, another free-spending team. Notice a pattern? You need a team way under the cap or a freespender to make these things work. The teams under the cap aren'
t looking for our disposable trash -- with the exception of the Clips they are looking to compete and don't need our Kenny Andersons or Vitaly Potapenkos. "Anything is possible" isn't really true: only a limited amounts of things are possible in the NBA. You can't trade Kenny and V for Olowakandi, Brand and Odom.

What makes you think anyone will give Michael Olowokandi a maximum contract?
The Clippers have offered 1 year at around $5M I believe. I have not heard
of him receiving any offers above this. Although a decent big man, he is
still a project and it is doubtful he will get more that $5-$6M. He is not a
top level center.
Sure. Neither was Big Country. Or Greg Ostertag. Or any of the the non-top level centers in recent years who have pulled down fantastic salary numbers. You should know that. I based my "max salary" thinking on that fact, but also on the reports on ESPN.com recently -- I think by Ford in his "fixer-upper" series for the site, and including Aldridge's latest column, I believe -- that reported that Olowakandi will probably receive the max. I'll be the first to admit that these are sports media speculations, but Aldridge is as reliable as these people get, plus, given the seller's market of big men in the NBA, it's more than possible. Likely, even. If not the max, somewhere real close. I'd bet on it.

Bird