Hello,

> Wallace knew better than any of us the constraints he was working under. He
> knew the trade could very well end up as two 1 rounders for Tony Delk of
> all
> people - a player who is not as good as Strickland and without the possible
> 'upside' of Forte. A bad draft made worse by a bad trade that could well
> spell mediocrity for years to come (how long is Delk's contract?).

Hmm your selling Wallace short.

He knew he was sacrificing the future for the present. Its more like the Red
Sox making a trade down the stretch. It was a win now trade. He wasn't
building for the future at all..but trying to make the finals that year.

And the Celts were pretty close to making the finals...
Many people would of course like to see their team patiently build for an NBA
championship. Wallace took the pragmatist route and is probably thinking
something like this:

I don't think Pierce and Walker can get us a championship...but they can get
us an eastern conference finals with one more decent player. I can keep my
job, and help Gaston make more money. Besides Gaston told me he isn't going
to pay for another draft picks salary anyway. And I know he isn't ever going
to pay enough for a championship...the finals is the best I can ever do.
Let's take a shot..

Thats what Wallace was secretlly thinking, I bet. I don't think I can blame
him for that. The Celts just don't have a championship owner...

Pete