RE: Baker

At 12:01 AM 7/22/2002, Orion wrote:
Basically everyone on this team except Pierce should be tradable, even
Walker at the right price. The difficult task is finding a taker.  But if
Seattle can find a taker for Baker as Milwaukee did for Kemp, Washington did
for Juwon Howard and his ludicrous contract, anything is possible. Going for
prospects is a risk for us as our brain trust's track record of draft picks
and trades over the last 5 years has been horrendous.
All right John/Orion... if we grant that "anything is possible" and "bad trades
happen all the time" (like Bibby for Williams) then let's face it: you can propose
and justify any trade you want. You can write as many "let's trade our crap for
their talent" scenarios complete with detailed potential depth charts as your
fingers can hammer out. I just think it's a waste of time if they have basically
zero chance of happening. It's much more interesting to discuss a trade scenario
that might be plausible for reasons other than "the other team is dumb" or
"stranger things have happened." Now, do you actually believe your justifications
for the Anderson trade you proposed? Would you would actually do that trade if
you were the Clippers GM? If your answer is "no way in hell" then I think it's not
going to be a plausible trade from the point of view of many on this list, and
it's not going to get any discussion.

Alex