Stunned... and sick

I'm sick. Really. This Vin Baker thing makes me physically ill. This is a
bad idea on every possible level.

Check out this quote from the Seattle Post-Intelligencer:

"Executing a trade of Vin Baker would figure to set off among Seattle sports
fans various fireworks, piqatas, parades and half-days off from work, should
anyone still be at work during this current spell of climatological glory."

They wouldn't be throwing parties over the acquisition of Kenny and Vitaly.
They'd be that happy just to get rid of Vin Baker. That's the kind of bad
contract we're talking about. We're talking almost Shawn Kemp-bad.

Some people are under the delusion that, if you ignore the contract (HOW CAN
YOU???), Vin is a good fit. He's a TERRIBLE fit. He's a guy who needs the
ball a lot. He's soft. He doesn't rebound. He doesn't defend. If the Celtics
need anything from their big men, it's rebounding and defense. It's dirty
work. In 31 minutes per game last season, Baker averaged 6.4 rebounds. Tony
Battie, on the other hand, in 24 minutes per game, averaged 6.5 rebounds.
And Battie isn't exactly Ben Wallace.

Are they planning on starting Baker at center? I'm assuming that's the plan.
Can you imagine big, fat Vin Baker being the "blitz" guy in the Celtics'
defense of the pick-and-roll? That's Battie's biggest asset. He has as much
lateral quickness as any center in the league, so he can jump out on the
point guard on those pick and rolls without being burned off the dribble.
Baker won't be able to do that. And he won't defend his man. And he won't
rebound. And he'll demand the ball. And he'll sulk when he doesn't get it
(and he won't get it-not with Pierce and Walker around).

And Shammond Williams... I'm sure this is the Celtics' idea of a deal
sweetener. Meet your new starting point guard. Williams is Tony Delk. They
have a lot of things in common, including the fact that neither of them is
very good at point guard. Of course, the Celtics think that position is
completely irrelevant. I'm sure in Jim O'Brien's dreams, Shammond Williams,
Delk, Pierce and Walker just spread out around the three-point line and wait
for the kick-outs from Vin Baker when he's double-teamed, then... bombs
away.

I hate this deal so much. The Celtics will spend the next four years
regretting it. These are the prime years of Pierce and Walker's careers, and
they'll be spent in Vin Baker Hell. Ask Gary Payton about it.

As for throwing in Forte... I've said many times that I don't see Forte
being anything more than Delk-at best-but why give him up before you know?
If you're convinced he can't play, don't make him a throw-in salary dump,
try to find someone who thinks he can play and see if you can get a future
first-rounder or something.

You'd think the Celtics were desperate. They're taking on the worst contact
in the league, they're giving up the best player in the deal (yes, Kenny is
the best player), they're giving up salary flexibility for four more seasons
(get ready for the "we can't afford two first-rounders" stories next
season), and they're throwing in a young player who still has value. I'm
telling you, if they don't get back at least a first-rounder in this deal,
this will go down as one of the worst trades in franchise history. Oh,
they'll talk about Baker replacing Rogers and not giving up anyone who would
contribute beyond this season, but it's just more talk. That's what Wallace
and Papile do. They talk. They certainly don't scout (witness the 2001 draft
disaster). I think Pitino was being honest when he was here when he said
Wallace conducted all the trade talks, then brought the good ideas to
Pitino. Hence the Vitaly trade and the Kenny trade and... oh you get the
point.

According to today's P-I, Baker met with Wallace and O'Brien over the
weekend. It's a done deal. I'm sick.

That's all. I have to go take some Pepto Bismol.

Mark