Details of Watson's offer from the Griz

As some may have guessed by now, I'm a closet fan of the Memphis Grizzlies.
Seeing this pre emptive strike by Jerry West in a shrewd move, I only wish
Chris Wallace had the approval from HIS boss to do whatever it takes to
improve the team.

West obviously sees Seattle as a lower tier WC playoff team and one his club
needs to climb over to get to where every team aspires to (well maybe not
every team). He first attempted to weaken Seattle by trying to sign Jerome
James and even though he didn't it helped drive up James' asking price which
forced the Sonics to expend the full amount of their mid-level exemption.

Could Wst have gotten a feel for who the C's wanted as part of the rumored
Baker deal (Watson instead of Shammond Williams?) so he signs Watson knowing
that in so doing he removes that option from the Sonics which in turn
possibly kinks the deal?  By that I mean West being of the opinion that he'd
rather see Baker remain with the Sonics and harm them more by not ultimately
being able to retain Rashard Lewis?

In any event, Watson will be paid $1.2 M this season. I find it also
interesting the comment re: Brevin Knight might soon be traded. Want a pure,
pure PG?  Want a PG with jets? Want a damn good steals man in the backcourt?
A backcourt of BK and Pierce would be among the best "steals" tandem in the
league as would a backcourt of Earl Watson and Pierce. Quite an interesting
storyline that would be in that the LA kid goes off to college in Kansas and
the Kansas City kid goes off to college in LA. And both found Oz.

Instead of Baker and Shammond for Kenny/V, the C's ought to be talking to
Memphis for a package of Stromile Swift and Brevin Knight, both clearly
"available".

Grizzlies pursuing Seattle's Watson

By Ronald Tillery
<A HREF="mailto:tillery@gomemphis.com";>tillery@gomemphis.com</A>
July 20, 2002

Earl Watson stands just 6-1 but he may just turn out to be the Grizzlies'
biggest offseason pickup.

Watson is a restricted free agent who played for Seattle last season as a
rookie from UCLA. The Griz signed the backup point guard to an offer sheet
Friday, and the Sonics have 15 days to match a three-year deal that is worth
$4 million, according to an NBA source familiar with the deal.

But Seattle retaining Watson is unlikely given the rules of the NBA
collective bargaining agreement. Because the Sonics already signed center
Jerome James using their mid-level exception ($4.5 million), they must clear
room under the salary cap to match Watson's offer. That is highly improbable
because Seattle now plans to re-sign forward Rashard Lewis to a lucrative
contract.

Also, the Sonics are close to completing a trade that would send forward Vin
Baker and guard Shammond Williams to Boston for point guard Kenny Anderson
and center Vitaly Potapenko. Anderson joining the Sonics makes Watson
expendable and available to join the Grizzlies.

Although Watson, 23, was left off Seattle's playoff roster, he averaged 15
minutes behind All-Star guard Gary Payton last season. He averaged 3.6 points
and 2.0 assists while shooting 45.3 percent from the floor and 36.4 percent
from three-point range. Watson's deal pays $1.2 million in the first season.
The total package is worth more than what starters such as Jamaal Tinsley
(Indiana) and Tony Parker (San Antonio) earn.

Griz president of basketball operations Jerry West could not be reached for
comment Friday. He justified using part of the mid-level exception in a
statement released by the team.

"We feel that Earl (Watson) is a tough, hard-nosed player who is dedicated to
becoming an impact player in this league," West said. "He had an impressive
college career at UCLA and a good rookie season in Seattle, and he will add
quality depth to our point guard position."

The Griz would employ four point guards - Watson, Jason Williams, Brevin
Knight and Eddie Gill - two of whom have been starters. However, the addition
of Watson could mean Gill's days are numbered and a trade involving Knight
may be in the works. Williams is slated to return as the starter, leaving
little playing time to divide between Watson, Knight and Gill.

"I am excited about the opportunity to possibly play for the Grizzlies for
several reasons. I grew up in Kansas City which is close to Memphis, and I
consider it a privilege to have a chance to play for Jerry West," Watson
said.

"Looking from afar as an opponent last season, the Grizzlies are a young,
exciting team with great guys."

As a senior at UCLA, Watson was named All-Pac-10 and ranks first on UCLA's
career steals list (235), fourth in assists (607) and fourth in three-point
field goals (133).

"We're big fans of Earl," Seattle general manager Rick Sund said. "We're glad
he got such a big offer."

- Ronald Tillery: 529-2353

CeltsSteve

"Life Is a Bowl of Gumbo. Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much!"