re: Offseason thoughts

At 10:03 PM 7/19/02 -0700, bird wrote:
Precisely.  If someone *had* the money, though, I think the ideal is to
have a Mark Cuban-type as an owner.  He's like a rich dad who buys you
almost anything you want -- who cares what he pays for it?  I just think
that's too much to ask for.  Nor is it necessarily good for the game.  I
think a hard cap of some sort is a likely option ... and I mean "likely"
as in "to work" and not "to happen".  I used to like the old "slots"
way --  -- and perhaps a modified form of that would be workable.  They
could have 2 slots for "superstars", 3-4 to round out the starting five or
so, 3 more for the main backups.  Maybe they could distribute some "mad
money" to teams to "shop around for" for the rest.  Hey, they could even
televise the event, make GM's or owners run an obstacle course to grab
free agents.  I'd pay real money to see Chris Wallace or Paul Gaston --
not to mention El Greaso or the Zen Master -- run around tackling NBA free
agents (or perhaps just their simulacrums -- no need to risk injury!).
Anyway, back in the real world, an owner who was tempered as you described
above would be more than acceptable ... it'd be welcome.
Actually if we're going to talk ideal world, the real problem isn't the cap, it's the almost everyone gets a guaranteed contract. That's the big thing that football gets right and why its fairly hard cap works - few guaranteed contracts. Would we mind taking on Vinnie's contract if we could cut him and it, no harm done?

And yeah, I think I'd pay to watch some free agents get snapped up. They could make a TV game show of it and include the resulting revenue in the cap figures as a sweetener (maybe have the audience vote for the hardest to catch FA/best chase, resulting in a bonus that the team doesn't have to pay and equivalent extra cap space for the team, which would *encourage* them to improve their team by going for FA). Gaston is supposed to be a big motocross racer and fan. Maybe they could have him do a rodeo act with the bike, herding them up...

Kim