RE: Is Wallace taking advice from Pitino???

Comments below

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-celtics@igtc.com [mailto:owner-celtics@igtc.com] On Behalf
Of Berry, Mark S
Sent: Friday, July 19, 2002 5:53 AM
To: Celtic igtc list (E-mail); Celtic yahoo list (E-mail)
Subject: Is Wallace taking advice from Pitino???

who might have been scared off by the $50-plus million remaining on
Baker's deal that expires after the 2005-06 season."

every bad contract in the league goes to die. But the Celtics are going
to give up an attractive expiring contract (and their starting point
guard) for the guy? The Sonics were better without Baker last year.

The Knicks weren't scared off by the contract. They didn't have the
requisite expiring contract that Seattle wanted.  The writer threw in
"might" as a way of stating that he really doesn't know.

Bremer are their point guards? There's not a point guard in the bunch.
Shammond Williams is a young Tony Delk-and undersized shooting guard who
can get hot and really score, but he's not a point guard. I think I'd
actually rather have Earl Watson, who, if I remember correctly, took
Williams' minutes last season in Seattle and showed some real promise as
an up-tempo, pass-first point guard. Does anyone from the Seattle area
know more?

They don't want a pure point guard.  Omah has made note of that himself.
When he says "``They keep bringing in two-ones,'' Cook said. ``I'm a
true point.'' . . .but in any event, Watson did take Williams job as he
is more of a pass first/defensive minded point guard. Small at 5'11"
tall but very athletic and very intelligent. Would be a good pickup in
the even that this deal goes down.  Not sold on him being ready to start
however.  Williams can flat out score however and he is a better
defensive player than Kenny.

Boston would be an extremely difficult cover with Walker, Pierce and
Williams on the perimeter with Baker posting up inside but Watson began
to show some good ability to knock down the perimeter jumper by the end
of the season and would be a great addition as well.

If the Celtics can re-sign Rodney Rogers and make this deal. They will
be playing the Lakers in the finals.

-Ravi