Re: responses to ravi, gene, etc.

Well I really expected more then what I saw from Cook and Songaila in the
"playground style" game we saw last night.

If I remember correctly the statements last year from the coaching staff was
that Forte had problems in summer league play because of the lack of
structure inherent in summer league games.  With his coming from a
structured program that certainly makes sense.

This could also be said for Cook I suppose after playing in the NDBL. But I
didn't really see any Ohh's and Ahh's either.  We also just don't know what
is said and shown in the locker room and practice.

Bremer on the other hand certainly has a wonderful pedigree with being 4th
highest scorer in the NCAA or somesuch.  You have to like a winner who has
"found away to show it" time and again to paraphrase a well turned phrase.

I would like to hear what our captains have to say on the subject as they
have to play with whoever is signed.  Has anyone heard anything about our
signed players during the off season?

Kim gave the opinion:

Snip...

I'm somewhere between Josh and the rest in that I saw a few things to like
with Cook but wasn't as blown away as you'd expect from what others have
said.

Well, maybe Ravi is very perceptive when he's high... . (Just joshing,
Ravi -- no pun intended). I saw the game; saw Cook have more "true point
guard skills", saw Bremer shoot better, saw both play defense reasonably
well. I'd take a chance on Cook, myself, because Bremer's attractiveness, as
others have mentioned, is largely his range. I didn't expect to be "blown
away" from hearing comments -- everybody is the Next Big Thing (tm) when
most haven't seen him, as assuredly Damon Jones, Part II will be if he shows
up too.

Mmm, well I agreed that Cook has some point guard skills. Certainly one of
the most solid ball handlers I've seen (and man I wish he could inject PP
with some of that - PP loses control way too often on his dribble IMO). I
suspect any real preference on the part of the Cs for Bremer is because he's
an easier to judge basic WYSIWYG for a backup. And there are enough players
in development that they probably like that reliability in meshing with
everyone else if they're seeing what I'm seeing with Cook - skills with
issues around leadership and decision making. *shrug* It's also only one
game. Bremer certainly looks like a permanent backup, while some people
seemed to be slotting Cook as a starter this year making KA unnecessary (if
I'm misremembering and that was only on the newsgroup, my apologies).