Re: responses to ravi, gene, etc.

At 01:49 AM 7/17/02 -0400, Josh Ozersky wrote:
A point guard is supposed to run
the show, create, make things happen, see the floor a step ahead
of everybody else.  Cook didn't show me those things, but to be fair,
this was more a pick-up game than a real team effort.  Still, I didn't
get the sense that he really knew what he was doing.
The pick up game rather than real team effort is a good point, that I wholeheartedly agree with and haven't seen anyone else pick up on. It was one of my biggest frustrations with them, especially after watching the first game where Twolves had some real chemistry in places (sigh, Loren Woods may be skinny but he's going to be good and Khalid may drive you crazy at times but there's no question he is a true point guard who can play that in the NBA). On the one hand it's a reason to cut Cook some slack because he wasn't getting enough co-operation from his teammates but on the other hand it's not like he showed any real leadership in trying to change that. I'm somewhere between Josh and the rest in that I saw a few things to like with Cook but wasn't as blown away as you'd expect from what others have said. Yeah, he unquestionably handles the ball beautifully, but he also spent far too much time doing it and dribbling while figuring out what to do (and where have we seen that before) - part of that was because of limited co-operation from his teammates (I saw better picks and co-operative play running outside pregame with some real pickup games) but again, this is something he could have used to force them to play better. He looks at the rest of the court, which puts him miles above Delk with just that one thing, but too many of his passes went astray IMO and I don't think there was enough set up to encourage his teammates to be doing the things they should be doing to get the ball. His own shooting doesn't bother me that much as that's not my primary concern. And you do have to like his quickness when he uses it.

Bottom line IMO is that he DID show some things, but not as others have described him and certainly not to the point where failing to gush all over him indicates a lack of understanding about what a point's supposed to do. A year getting some real game PT (including with the starters who would presumably make him look better too) and playing in practice against a KA led starting team might do a lot to help that but not as guaranteed as some seem to say. Bremer looks like a solid, hussling, more mature backup without the upside that Omar might have.

Kim