From: owner-celtics@igtc.com [mailto:owner-celtics@igtc.com] On Behalf
Of Josh Ozersky
Sent: Tuesday, July 16, 2002 10:50 PM
To: celtics list
Subject: responses to ravi, gene, etc.

Ravi,

Sorry about the crack about being high.  No disrespect intended.  But I
don't see anything in Omar Cook that makes me think he can even play in
the league, much less be better than Jamaal Tinsley.  And I think I have
a pretty fair grasp of what the point guard position is all about.
There's more to being a point guard than getting into the lane and being
able to handle the ball.  A point guard is supposed to run the show,
create, make things happen, see the floor a step ahead of everybody
else.  Cook didn't show me those things, but to be fair, this was more a
pick-up game than a real team effort.  Still, I didn't get the sense
that he really knew what he was doing.  You may scoff at Pepe Sanchez,
but I saw him play in exactly the same situation two years ago, and he
made everyone around him better, got shitty players easy shots, ran pick
and rolls like he invented the play, and made passes that most guards
can't even conceive of.  Cook may be athletic, but he's not a pure PG
from what I've seen, at least so far.

That said, and given how everybody else seems to think I'm wrong, I'll
watch the tape over again.  I do remember his two assists in the lane,
but they struck me as unrepresentative of the game he played tonight.  I
know he can get into the lane, but I never saw him

a) advance the ball via a pass instead of a dribble
b) look upcourt for a layup
c) run a pick and roll
d) make a good entry pass into the post
e) hit a man in stride
f)  reward a defender for making a steal or forcing a turnover
g) pass creatively within the half-court set.

I guess his defense was OK.  Anyway, I'll watch the tape again and see
if I really was wrong.  I may have been.  I hope I was!

Josh
f)