Kedrick

I read the Globe article today, and did not come away with the impression that the Celtics consider him a wasted pick.

Rather they consider him a potential starter.  Lester Conner's comments about him not picking up picking up the schemes as quickly as they would like, don't have me overly worried.  He's a young kid who dove into the deep end of the pool a little early.  And with Obis overt preference for veterans, I doubt he felt to comfortable asking questions.  While the Celtics offense is not very complicated, the defense seems to be a little more so.  And I think the fact that Kedrick acquitted himself so well on that end, shows some basketball IQ. I hope that's what it is anyway.

And honestly if your not named Paul or Antione your job IS to float around the three point line.  Kenny has the luxury of bring the ball up so he can shoot too ;)

As for the comparisons to McGrady, etc.  Who knows if they are accurate, but McGrady didn't exactly come into the league and dominate.  Let alone show the kind of court savvy he does now.

I wouldn't compare Kedrick's situation to Kobe or Carter.  Carter played D1 ball and was much more experienced coming into his rookie year.  And Kobe, well....Kobe is Kobe.  Even so it took him a couple years to put the game we see know together.

But McGrady is a more favorable comparison. It took McGrady three years to average double figures.  In those first two years he also was able to play around 1100 minutes per and scored around 8 points per game.  Compare that to Kedricks 245 minutes.  That's a lot more school time for McGrady, and a lot more shots.  They also both came into the league with the physical freak tag, and no D1 experience.

Will Kedrick become the next McGrady, probably not.  McGrady is, when healthy, one of the top 10 players in the league.  But I'd be more than happy if Kedrick became a second tier swingmen.

It sounds like the coaching staff has placed a lot of pressure on him to dominate at the Shaw.  I suspect we will learn something about the young man this week.  Can he handle that pressure, and can he play?  I hope so.  And hope the Celtics don't trash him if he doesn't perform just yet.  Ask Toronto if they regret McGrady's departure.