camp....)

Sundov in C's sights: But Rogers top priority

by Steve Bulpett
Monday, July 15, 2002

While the Celtics open play today in the Shaw's Pro Summer League, the
more meaningful competition will take place on cell phones around
UMass-Boston's Clark Athletic Center. The C's appear to be closing in on
free agent Bruno Sundov and remain hopeful regarding Rodney Rogers as
the NBA signing period opens at midnight tonight.

Rogers is clearly the Celts' top offseason priority, and it seems the
market is giving them a decent chance to retain his services.

``We've been talking for quite some time,'' Celtics general manager
Chris Wallace said. ``Do we have anything done? No. Is there anything
that's imminent? No. But I'm not certain he has anything wrapped up
elsewhere either.

``His agent obviously has to do his due diligence and look over the
field and see if there's anything out there better for him. But we would
like to retain him.''

Presently, the Celtics are offering the veteran minimum for a player of
his experience level, $1 million. And while that may look like short
money, the general fear of the oncoming luxury tax is that it will force
teams to be penny-wise. If Rogers were to play the 2002-03 season for
that sum, he would then be free again next summer at a time when both
the Celts and numerous other clubs figure to have a good deal more
spending room. Teams have been clearing space in anticipation of a
strong free agent class in 2003 (Tim Duncan, Jason Kidd, etc.), and
mid-level types such as Rogers could end up doing well with those who
miss out on the bigger fish.

As regards Sundov, a 22-year-old big man (7-foot-2) from the Pacers,
word late yesterday is that he was leaning toward Boston.

``I wouldn't necessarily say that for certain,'' Wallace said of a
Sundov acquisition. ``There's a multitude of factors involved here, and
I don't think that they've all been wrapped up yet.

``Until we're actually talking about paperwork, I'm not actually
counting this one in. But we're recruiting him and he's someone we've
had our eye on for a long time.''

The Celtics are offering Sundov $637,435, the minimum based on his
experience.

The C's also had interest in keeping free agent guard Erick Strickland,
but it was looking more and more as if the key backup from this season's
Eastern Conference finalists will be finding a new home soon.

``That could easily happen,'' Wallace said. ``Erick has been actively
recruited by a number of teams, from what we hear. He's taken a visit to
Indiana. Miami has poked around. New Jersey's been mentioned, and
Seattle and Cleveland, too.''

On the summer league court this week, the Celtics will be focusing on
players whose rights they control and hoping someone else can catch
their eye.

``The objectives are to get more experience for Kedrick (Brown) and
(Joseph) Forte and take long looks at (second-round pick Darius)
Songaila and Omar Cook,'' Wallace said.

Songaila has confirmed to the Celtics that he's looking for a full shot
with the team and will not (at least initially) take a job overseas and
allow the C's to maintain his rights beyond this season.

``Since we drafted him and had our initial phone conversation with
(agent) Mark Bartelstein, it's apparent he's not a European candidate,''
Wallace said. ``That's not what he wants to do. He's either on the team
or cut, unless a deal can be worked out with another team.

``And that's OK. That's a very acceptable gamble to take with the 50th
pick. I think Darius is a guy that's a legitimate young player to put on
an NBA roster and develop and see if you can turn him into something