Re: Rumors

On Sunday, July 14, 2002, at 10:26 PM, Orion wrote:

Don't rule out a third possibility:

Damn good tequila!
Well, fair enough.  They don't call 'er "Ta-Kill-Ya" fer nothin'.

The 3-way was posted on the list between the C's, Pacers and an undisclosed
third team.
I know, I saw it too, that's why I responded. These things get tossed around like they're real or something, but they're not, are they? How many of "these things" (anything from fan-originated stuff to the hazy wisps of dreams semi-pro media-type web sites/personas dish out like gossipmongerers) turn out to happen? Not many, and (shockingly) the ones that do turn out to be mostly ones broken by the "major sports media" (ESPN, etc.) and usually right before the deal is done. These rumors are like vaporware (or, just plain vapor, really) -- they don't turn out. Mostly. There's always exceptions, but I can't think of one rumor that came through and was discussed on the list beforehand. We're always surprised. And if there was, it maybe like one or two (Fortson to Toronto for Alvin Williams and yet another CBA-level center, maybe?).

It's fine if people want to talk about it, of course. Just another reason to dislike the offseason, for me. That, and of course that's there's no damn Celtic basketball.

Forget about Rodney, he will not take this team to the next level and is
simply a nice role player.
I've been on the list for a long time, John, and I know the grass is always greener on the other side for you; you always want to see player movement, always want to trade away for what's out there. And always because the guy we do have "won't take us to the next level", it seems. Well, you're entitled, but I ain't buying. I go by what I see, and I saw Rogers help take the team to the next level. Team was out of the playoffs,
team made the conference finals the next. Improvement. Was Rogers the only reason? No. But to say he wasn't a part of it isn't true either. Yes, he's a role player. So's virtually every guy 3-12 on the roster in the NBA. Enough "role players" with talent bring you to the next level. Therefore, to whit, and habeas corpus delecti, not to mention quid pro quo,

Re-sign Rodney Rogers.

Bird

P.S. I still think you're psychic; sure it wasn't mezcal? absinthe? jaegermeister?