Re: rambling on Rogers, etc.

At 03:24 PM 7/1/02 -0700, gene kirkpatrick wrote:
I have mixed feelings about signing Rogers via the
blank checkbook approach, if that news was accurate.
If we have absolutely nothing left, it will destroy
our ability to develop other big men.
Yes and no. A point that gets somewhat lost in this whole discussion is that the luxury tax issue is basically a one year problem because Kenny's 9MM this year is the last year of his contract. And in fairness to Rogers, no one's saying that he's looking for outrageous money. So at worst, he's likely to delay things by a year even if the alternatives available then are different from the ones now. It's a big reason DS going to Europe for a year would be helpful.

Rogers is important, but not all important.  For
instance, I would rather have the two big men--DD and
DS--the European and the rookie than Rogers; I say
that fearing that it will be Rogers and not the other
two.
Mmmm this gets into my own ambiguity issues. Change is not necessarily improvement. And I get really tired of the fact that for some people (not you Gene) there's a knee jerk reaction where every college/foreign/free agent big man is presumed to be better than anyone we have. IMO it's grass is greener syndrome -i.e. simply because they haven't yet disappointed us and they can still 'develop'. That's nice but can gets too often assumed to mean will, and will develop into what we hope they can be. Rodney to me is at least an upper level journeyman, who fills a need fairly well (especially by today's NBA standards) if not superbly. There's also the problem we've had over the past few years where there's a symbiosis between the different players' needs to develop. Nobody on this team is a finished product, as good as they're going to get, with the probably exception of Kenny and I suspect Rodney (although there's still some getting used to his teammates factoring in room for improvement there). Which means that everyone's development/lack thereof is affected by everyone else's. It's a big part of our offensive problems and it's part of why I don't have as huge a problem with lack of rookie PT as some people. And it's also part of why I'm not panting over swapping Rodney in the rotation for a young big man or two with real possibilities BUT... Sorry, but any big man likely to fit seamlessly into the rotation would have been long gone by then no matter how much upside the guys we're looking at have. While our biggest existing disappointments looked good enough to be drafted/picked up as a FA at some point or they wouldn't be there. So like it or not, trying to integrate those guys is going to affect the development of everyone else from Pierce to Brown and unless we're very very very lucky, not for the better. Which still may be worth it in the end, but is something I don't think gets enough attention.

I guess I'm not too concerned about being in the
conference championship game at all costs next year.
I want to see a team that can develop into more than a
contender.  And that, to me, means a team with some
muscle, some scoring in the paint.  Nobody does that
on this team!  Pierce drives in there, Walker
occasionally flits in for the baby hook, Battie can
follow up with a dunk, but nobody regularly posts up,
takes a dribble and a six foot bank shot.  We can't
win without real, bona-fide inside players.  So, we
get lucky and draft a pretty fair one; we set our
sights on one from Europe, but they may not make the
squad due to McCarty and Blount!  Hold that NBA
Ticket.
Well, I'm not sure I wholly agree that we can't win without a bona fide post player, hoops purist though I am. It certainly makes it a lot easier and I'd rather we had one, but in today's diluted NBA and given the fact that you don't try to match up to Shaq you try to avoid him...

As for baby hooks, I wish Vitaly would take the one he practices in the pre-games and take it into a game sometime. Of course I also wish he could be trusted to catch a pass and put it up. I'll give Rogers that - he's got much better hands than Vitaly.

If we could only get Vitaly taken out for the entire season, we could apply for a disabled player exemption and use that to pay someone. Anyone got some North End connections?

And I do agree that I don't think McCarty and especially not Blount should in any way block attempts to develop alternatives. Rogers is a different category.

And yet, my fears subside when I think that OB and
Wallace know more about this than I do.  I'll stop
since this is therapy for me but not necessarily for
anyone else.
Therapy's good. And it's the same sorts of thoughts I think we're all having that don't have a mind set in stone one way or another. I'm not a fan of Rogers but recognize that he's a serviceable alternative, which is better than can be said about many players and which there is no guarantee the two europeans will ever be (IMO big man play is particularly hard to really judge how it will translate to the NBA from college or Europe) . If nothing else, he can bang enough to put McDyess back on IR if he's not already there when we play them : )

Kim