Re: Look For Chris Wallace To Be Brought Up On Murder Charges

What I understood was that Gasol had to go high enough in the draft to
"earn" enough money in his first year contract to pay the balance of his
exit fee (to cancel his contract) that couldn't be paid by the team drafting
him.  Otherwise he would finish his contract.  I think the exit fee was
something like $1.5 million.  A team is restricted on how much they can pay
a newly drafted player depending on his draft position.

A team is only allowed to pay $X amount ($300K ???) towards any exit fee and
the player has to pay the balance.

<Jim

>Am I wrong in thinking that before the draft there was a very strong and
>realistic possibility that Gasol would not have been let out or would not
>have opted out of his existing contract?  In fact, I though he was
>originally contending that if he didn't go top 5 he would not have come
>over. If he was actually true to his word, would the 2 picks have got us
>into where we thought we need to be, and, secondly, if he had refused to
>come over would we be upset this year that we had lost those 2 picks?

>Bill

>>At 08:03 PM 1/29/2002 -0800, John wrote:
>>[...
>>  We screwed up on Moiso, "the best athlete in the draft" and this draft
is
>>still questionable. Trading the two picks for Gasol would have definitely
>>been better IMO. The Clippers stole Brand....]

Jim Hill
mailto:jahill@leasingservice.com
800-451-6567 Voice/Fax 866-571-3921