Re: Would this work in Boston? (I say yes)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kestas" <Kestutis.Kveraga@dartmouth.edu>
To: <celtics@igtc.com>
Sent: Saturday, January 19, 2002 8:55 PM
Subject: Re: Would this work in Boston? (I say yes)

> At 17:25 1/19/2002 -0800, you wrote:
> >I want to know where you are getting this information.
>
> I'm making an inference based on the information available to people on
> this list.
>
> > Are you saying that
> >Toine refuses to play any position other than PF?  If that were the case
he
> >would never bring the basketball upcourt nor would he hoist all those 3
> >pointers if he were strictly playing that position.
>
> Please, don't be ridiculous.

Wasn't trying to be.  Just pointing out that not many other players who are
"classified" as a PF perform those tasks.  He may be listed as a PF,
however, the jury is out as to if that his the true position he is playing
isn't it?  Why else has he been referred to as a point forward?  I am not
trying to be ridiculous and not making any inferences.  Just asking a
question.

 > >You seem to imply that Walker plays the 4 because he is too lazy or out
of
> >shape to cover opposing 3s.
>
> I'm implying no such thing. What I'm saying is, Walker probably fancies
> himself as this super-versatile PF who can do it all. He doesn't want run
> around picks chasing all those SFs/SGs; instead, he wants to bang bodies
> with the big boys and  get "his" rebounds. Is he lazy or out of shape? No.
> Is that the optimal way to use his talents? I don't believe so.

Kestas, if you are not implying that he is too lazy to chase all those
SFs/SGs around, I am.  But he would probably get beaten consistently by the
2s and 3s in this league without an eraser behind him.  So until we get one,
and with the TB/VP combo as all we have at this point, isn't this rather
fruitless?

> Heck, Bird was not dissimilar to Toine in this respect: he was an
> unathletic 6-9 guy who could do it all on offense but was not a great
> individual defender. So he played SF. Obviously, he had McHale and Parish
> next to him, not Pot and Battie.

There's probably your answer as to why he is the 4.

> > I don't know that it is the case or that Obie
> >is bowing down to Toine because he is the coach-terminator.
>
> Obie is not stupid. He knows his fate rests in Walker's and Pierce's hands
> and is acting accordingly.
>
> Kestas

You said earlier that Pierce not playing the 2 is BS.  Are you saying, as
you are saying about Walker, that Pierce doesn't want to play the 2,
therefore he and Toine are tag-teaming?

Cecil (not trying to be ridiculous or argumentative)