Potential deals

The Knicks offered to send Marcus Camby, Shandon Anderson and Charlie Ward to
the Mavericks for Juwan Howard. New Jersey Star Ledger

"By the time Thursday's

76ers after Jackson

If the Golden State Warriors represent a prison, as Marc Jackson says, then
tonight is final chance this season for a breakout. Jackson, the 6-10 former
Temple star, has wanted that from the moment he was re-signed Oct. 19. Whether
he gets it as tonight's NBA trade deadline arrives at 6 o'clock is
problematical. Jackson, who finished third in the balloting for last season's
Rookie of the Year, has appeared in 17 games all season and has been locked to
the bench for the last 16. He has been battling management since his preseason
attempt to join the Houston Rockets was rebuffed when the Warriors matched
their restricted free agent offer. He has tried going public, blasting
Warriors general manager Garry St. Jean. He has added options to the list of
teams to which he'd accept a trade, raising the number to 10, including the
76ers. "This is a prison," he was quoted as saying in yesterday's San
Francisco Chronicle. "As long as I play in a game, I don't care if I go to
Europe, which I've already done. It's about playing situations. I want to play
for a team that needs help in scoring and rebounding, and who needs what I can
give 'em."

"Penny Hardaway. Marc Jackson. Karl Malone. Nick Van Exel. Bonzi Wells. Vin
Baker. Stephon Marbury. Those are several names simmering on the NBA's hot
plate as the trade deadline draws near. But the Grizzlies aren't cooking up
any mouth-watering deals. Chances are slim that the club will take part in any
major transactions before 5 p.m. CST today when teams can no longer make
trades this season. "We'll do what we need to do to make this team better over
the summer. We have a good nucleus. And we're very happy with the young guys,"
said Griz general manager Billy Knight."

Ike Austin could be released. Anyone interested?