Van Exel: Subtraction by Addition

Paul M. wrote:

<<I mean, if you really think you have a chance this year, and it's
obvious they do given the state of the Eastern Conference, don't you throw
all caution to the wind, ignore the luxury tax concerns since they won't
effect the team this year anyway, and go for Van Exel? The immediate
rewards, you have to admit, could be much higher. Sure he's a crackpot.
But if they're real concern is going for the Eastern Conference finals
this year, Rogers and Delk don't get you there faster than Van Exel.>>

Paul, while I usually agree with your analysis -- particularly your
spirited defense of Antoine Walker -- I have to disagree here.  Van Exel
is a cancer.  Sure, the guy can score.  But there is no way he'd be
willing to play 3rd banana to Walker and Pierce.  If you think
Walker/Pierce/Mercer had bad chemistry.... Van Exel is (nominally) a point
guard.  He hasn't made his teammates better.  He's won nothing.  He
couldn't coexist with Shaq and Kobe -- Jerry West gave him away and the
Lakers were champions within a couple of years.  What does that tell you?

As much as I've knocked Kenny Anderson, he's done an excellent job this
year, improving his defense and even his rebounding, hitting key open
shots when needed (Antoine would never have been in a position to hit that
off-balance 3 if Kenny hadn't matched Kobe shot for shot down the
stretch), and mostly keeping his mouth shut.  The chemistry's worked with
him this year.  I'd be nervous about replacing him with a "scoring point
guard".  If the Hornets had offered Baron Davis I'd have to vote in favor
of taking the risk, but Van Exel?  NO WAY.  Let the Nuggets send him to
Portland where he belongs.

As for Rogers and Delk.  On balance, I'm cautiously optimistic.  Certainly
those guys have killed the Celtics in the past.  It'll be nice to see
someone other than Eric Williams spelling Antoine, who's going to need
more rest whether he wants to admit it or not.  Don't care much about the
draft pick.  My only real reservation is giving up on Johnson this soon.
Anyone else wish the Cs had Billups back right now?

Finally--I'd keep Kedrick in the starting lineup.  Show him that trading
JJ was a vote of confidence in him.  He certainly isn't hurting anyone
defensively -- he did a nice job on Kobe the other night -- and he's only
going to get better.

Michael Gooen
http://sports.yahoo.com