Re: Wallace hints that Forte was a mistake

On Tuesday, February 19, 2002, at 04:39 AM, Celtic4Hire@aol.com wrote:

> Wallace doesn't think that a Tom Brady, a guy out of nowhere, can happen
> in
> basketball. I would say look at Brendon Haywood. He was just a 20 pick
> and he
> looks right now like the guy who would fill our center spot for the next
> ten
> years. Instead of having to develop players we never play to trade for a
> center, there was one available at the 20 pick. Same thing with the future
> point guard situation. There are suprises all the time in the NBA. Look at
> Paul Pierce falling to 10.

Sure, surprises can happen, but the original point was that guys can come
out of "nowhere" in football, perhaps other sports, but not usually
basketball.  Paul Pierce didn't come out of nowhere, he just inexplicably
slipped from 3 or 4 to 10.  In addition, Brendan Haywood played at North
Carolina, right?  I don't think guys who come out of NC, Duke, Kentucky
and the other traditional basketball powerhouses (Georgetown? UCLA?) come
out of nowhere -- the programs are too famous, and there's fewer
basketball players.

> The thing that makes it dissapointing is that we are going to trade away
> our
> opportunity for a point guard or center in next year's draft because of
> the
> cap situation. Therefore, the only change this team is going to see is in
> the
> improvement of JJ, Kedrick and Forte. I like JJ and Kedrick but what he is
> saying that we won't be seeing any change (barring some unforseen luck in
> wild free agent signing or trade) in the point guard or center position
> for 2
> years.

I don't know that we're trading "our opportunity for a point guard or
center".  If one avenue is closed, I'm sure other will open up.  Most
teams without a egomaniacal owner are worrying about the luxury tax and
are trying to stay under the cap -- what's the big whoop?  I don't want to
garner money for Gaston at the expense of winning, either, but people are
acting like if we don't get a point guard in the next draft, we're screwed
for life.  I don't see the "sky is falling" pessimism, I guess.

Bird