Re: [...] Re: Where do we go from here? - RealGM

on 2/19/02 2:59 AM, bird at birdwl@earthlink.net wrote:

> Perhaps he could help, and if we could sign him and waive/trade/jettison
> Brown..........
  Bird
        *********
   Aha, I've gotten a "perhaps" out of you.
   That's enough, to make my day.
   As for your statement: "Palacio reminds me of Chauncy Billups.." I'll let
that pass (pun intended).

        JB

                  Unchain My Heart !

On Monday, February 18, 2002, at 04:58 PM, JB wrote:

> What don't you agree with? That El-Amin would be an upgrade over Palacio
> as a back up point?  That El-Amin would better bring out the skills in
> our rookies than Palacio, which might lengthen the bench and get some
> rest for the weary? I think those were my points.
       ********
Yup, those are the ones I disagree with ... obviously.  Look, Palacio has
his faults, and passing is right up there, if not the most important, but
he has good points, too.  He's a ball hawk, he takes it the hole, and he's
very young, with lot's of room for improvement.  Plus, you need to start
realizing that Strickland is our "back up point" and Palacio (and/or
El-Amin were he resigned) are, or would be, the third-string point.

Still, El-Amin is really short, and I am not convinced we need a "true"
point guard to be successful.  I hope Forte or even Johnson might be
groomed as a ballhandler, perhaps, plus whatever "point guard of the
future" we may be able to acquire.  The need for El-Amin and those like
him seem disproportionate with the amount of written attention you give to
it (though that's your right).  I'm not saying I wouldn't like to
manufacture Randy Brown into El-Amin, or, frankly, any healthy point, but
even in that case, El-Amin, or any CBA-, NBDL-, or European League-caliber
player we pick up isn't a huge deal.  You're acting like El-Amin gets an
immediate 20 minutes a game on this team, and it's just not the case, Jim.
  Perhaps he could help, and if we could sign him and waive/trade/jettison
Brown, MacLeod (if he's never ready for prime time), or ... well, I'd like
to say Blount, but height is important, or McCarty, but he's producing, so
I'll stick with those two I mentioned ... whoever, then that's cool, but
Palacio reminds me of Chauncy Billups -- if he can become 4/5'ths of
whatBillups is at the point, I will take that ... and be happy.

Bird