Great Russell story, great Silas story

I see that there has been a thread concerning Bill Russell and Paul Silas
and their respective coaching talents. I lived in Seattle in the late 70s
so let me share these two stories with you, one concerning Russ, the other
Silas.

Russell coached the Sonics from 73 to 77, for four seasons. The first
season the Sonics were terrible, the second season they got a lot better,
the third season they stayed about the same, and his final season they
began to stink again. It was clear by the middle of the 4th season in early
77 that Russ would not be back.

The 1976-77 Sonics were not an impressive team. They had Fred Brown, one of
the least appreciated scoring guards in NBA history, a rookie Dennis
Johnson, and little else. By the end of the 77 season the Sonics were
increasingly insubordinate to Russell and he had lost his interest in the
team, which he realized was lousy beyond hope. The players began muttering
about Russell, "Hey, he wasn't that good of a player. Back then the talent
was weak, he wouldn't even be an all-star if he was playing today." One day
Russell overheard these comments and commanded the players present out to
the practice floor. Russell, at this point 43 years old and eight years
away from his playing days, stood under the basket and dared every player
present to try to drive on him and score. Each of them drove the lane and
each of them had his shot blocked by Russell. Several tried a second time.
The same thing happened. Russell walked off the floor. A couple of weeks
later the season would end and he left the team.

The Sonics retooled almost overnight. The next year the team had added
Marvin Webster, Jack Sikma, John Johnson, and Gus Williams. As important as
any addition, however, was Paul Silas -- perhaps my all-time favorite
Celtics player -- who came over in a trade from Denver at age 34. The
Sonics lost in the NBA finals in 7 games to Washington in 1978. The
following year they were even better but they were in a nasty western
conference finals against the Phoenix Suns. This Suns team had Walter Davis
and the very best guard in the NBA at the time --Paul Westphal -- who was
at the peak of his game. The Sonics trailed in the hard fought series 3
games to 2 and the 6th game was in Phoenix. Phoenix seemed to have the
Sonics' number. Paul Silas basically grabbed the team by its collective
balls and refused to let them quit. That sixth game was one of the most
intense playoff games I have ever seen -- if it had been in the finals, it
would go down as one of the ten greatest games ever -- and what I remember
most is that Paul Silas, all 35 years of him -- dominated the backboards.
He absolutely ruled. And the Sonics won in a squeaker. They went on to win
the series and the 1979 NBA title.

I sometimes wonder how many more flags the Celtics would have won had they
kept Silas and Paul Westphal. But whenever I think about this I quickly
stop, because if the Cs hadn't collapsed in the late 70s, there would have
been no Larry, no Chief, and no McHale. Too bad our collapse since 1993 has
not produced a similar turnaround.

Bob McChesney