Fwd: Re: Apparently Paul Silas does.

> Bill Russell was a great center but wasn't very successful as a
coach. Silas
> hasn't been either.

He coached what, 7+ seasons for boston (3), Seattle (4), and Sac (.5),
producing 4 trips to the playoffs and 2 championships.  The record at
Seattle improved three straight years, and the personnel he collected,
in part, produced a championship under Wilkens two years after he
left.

There are a lot of coaches who would take this record.  Who in the NBA
as coach today has one more than 2 championships as a coach?  Riley,
Jackson and...no one!  (Rudy T has 2, in more than 7 years, btw).

Not to mention, it would seem a greater challenge to both play and
coach, and to coach and manage at the same time, both of which Russell
did.

The problem is not that he was "not very successful" as a coach, but
rather the he was measured, and measured himself, against the
impossible to attain (for others) standards of excellence and drive to
win.

Trond Jacobsen

> Being able to step out shoot the occasional 3 a la Bill Laimbeer,
and living
> out there jacking up 10 a game are two different things. I can't
really
> think of one other coach in the NBA that would let anyone shoot as
many 3's,
> even Reggie Miller the all-time king.
>
> But the truth is, when you only have 2 drawing cards, and when you
are
> winning more, partially due to the weak Eastern conference,  that's
a good
> marketing tool to get people in to see an inferior product. Its all
in the
> promotion baby!
>
> Their time has come,  or so the commercials say?

Behalf