Re: The steal of the century?

In message <20020217.212303.-298187.1.gh18@juno.com>, gh18@juno.com said:
> Denver is desperate.  Lafrenz will not resign with Denver, Van Exel wants
> out, and Denver is afraid to see them leave without getting some
> compensation.  Denver has contacted the Celtics for a straight up trade
> for Kenny.  Why not go for Lafrenz in a trade for Vitaly and Russel.
> Denver might bite on this trade.  This would be a tremendous upgrade for
> the Celtics.

The Nuggets do not want to trade LaFrentz, and he no longer is looking to
leave.  His major problems were with Issel, who is gone.  Kiki Vandeweghe
likes LaFrentz, and has a good reputation for developing big men after his
work with Nowitzki in Dallas last year.  The local press now thinks LaFrentz
will sign a new contract in Denver next summer.

Nick van Exel for Anderson is doable, but he apparently is not willing to
renounce the last two years of his contract (2004-2006) as was reported.  He
was quoted in the Denver Post yesterday that he never agreed to do that, and
it was just a ploy by the Nuggets to get people to talk to them.  Van Exel
might consider renegotiating his salary for those two years (if that is even
possible under the CBA).  He mentioned going from $26 to $17 million for
those two years, but said the idea of his giving up $26 million is "crazy".

And speaking of crazy...that's what I think of having van Exel within miles
of a young team.
--
Jim McMaster
mailto:mcmasjc@tatanka.stortek.com