re: the Portland game

> From: Kestas <Kestutis.Kveraga@dartmouth.edu>
>
> Eric Williams is amazing: he can't shoot from more than 5 feet anymore
> (his
> jumpers barely reached the rim), and he can't stop anyone one-on-one, yet
> somehow he finds a way to contribute.

I know!  I can't fathom EWill: a "good defender" who can't defend very
well, and a shooter who doesn't shoot very well.  But I want the guy on
the court for his 15-20 minutes a game.  Things fall more into place when
he's out there, but pick apart his game and you're left wondering what all
the fuss is about.

> That can't be said about JJ, who has
> about 10x more talent, but no fire in the belly.

We'll see.  I don't deny there might be a problem there, but all those who
are cashing him in already are just a tad bit premature.

> But hey, Byron Russell will solve these problems....

I'm with Joe H. on the Bryon Russell thing, up to a point: I think you can
make a case for this being a basketball decision.  Russell is a decent NBA
player with experience.  While Gaston and management may very well be
looking at the bottom line to the detriment of the team, now and in the
future, I just don't think it's a given.  I don't mind trading Brown and
McCarty, but the pick's inclusion is unfortunate.  It may be the team is
looking to acquire veterans in the next few years, planning on developing
this "mangled" group of rookies we have now.  In the end, I wouldn't do
this trade, but it's a close call, and I can't say I'd be too up in arms
if it were to occur.  I just don't like Russell that much as a player, but
getting rid of Brown and McCarty's salaries might just be worth it ... .

> Opposition players of note: 'Sheed is so freakishly talented, he's only
> top-5 in the league talentwise. I can't believe some listmembers think
> Walker is better or comparable.

I think if you lived out here and saw a lot of Sheed you might feel
differently.  Paul M. said it well: nice numbers, but if you think Joe
Johnson has no fire in the belly, than Sheed is not going to be your
savior.  He's obsessed with being "one of the guys" on a team that needs
his "leadership" on the court, and need him to be the "go-to guy" in the
parlance of the NBA.  He doesn't want that.  That doesn't sound too bad,
until you realize that you're paying him the max to basically be Dale
Davis.  Meanwhile, Walker will probably produce more for his team than
Sheed ever will.  But watching Walker every game makes you very familiar
with his shortcomings: the FG percentage, the stuffs down low, the
turnovers.  Watching the ubiquitous Blazers here in Oregon makes those of
us subjected to that torture very familiar with Sheed's own shortcomings.
Yes, Sheed probably has more raw talent than Walker.  I'd take Walker,
though, because he's actually going to use more of his talent than Sheed
seems willing to do.

Bird