Re: We don't need a draft pick?

I've only seen them play a total of five times, but my
opinion is that Parker and Tinsley ought to be praised as
draft day steals in roughly the same proportion that
Brevin Knight and Bobby Jackson were as rookies a few
years ago. That is to say, whatever they've proven thus
far counts for no more or less than it ought to. Tinsley
may or may not be a defensive liability with a Quinn
Buckner shooting touch, and Parker may or may not be as
puny and frail as Brevin Knight (who was a waterbug of a
ballhandler who I think also averaged over 3 steals per
game as a rookie). Parker, in particular, has never
played well at least when I've watched him on TV. Not
that fast, not that great a shot, no special court sense
worth mentioning.

But if these guys are for real (and look I've watched
these guys less than probably everyone out there), that's
great.

But the salient point is that this doesn't mean that
teams very often find playoff-asset-calibre NBA point
guards after the 20th pick in the draft. Even in so-
called "point guard" drafts.

Personally, I'm very impressed with the flair and passing
acumen of Chris Duhon (not that I expect him to be
available in the last third of any first round). He's
short, but he's really a standout player.

But c'mon let's not get all crazy about the value of our
first round draft pick, particularly after getting three
years worth of unfulfilled potential in the last draft.

I think there will be universal agreement that Bryon
Russell is a much more successful NBA player than
Strickland ever was. And he's been to the playoffs every
year (with better playoff than regular season stats
incidentally). How many total games of playoff experience
do the Celtics have on their roster? You can argue that
this kind of consideration might matter. Moreover, this
is Boston's last chance to add depth in case of injury.

I'm not going to advocate this trade scenario...to me
this is really a wash. But on the other hand its hard to
argue convincingly that we'd be better off keeping
Walter, Randy and our current draft position. What are we
trying to prove there?

The thing I fear about Waltah is that if he's still on
our roster at season's end, Obie may feel compelled to re-
up him for an additional three years. Walter seems like a
very good guy and I'm sure signing him would please
Antoine Walker and other key Celts.

In other words, Waltah is just barely good enough to hang
onto a roster spot we may be better off employing to sign
or develop a true backup power forward. By trading him
midseason (as we've reportedly tried to do before), maybe
Obie is really just trying to avoid rejecting a great kid
that he has already coached for close to a decade.

But again, I'm not favoring this trade. I just feel it
can be purely justified on basketball grounds (as opposed
to financial grounds).

Joe

L'e-mail gratuit pas comme les autres.
Pour crier votre adresse : http://www.nomade.fr/courrier/ouvrir.asp