Globe on Joe Johnson

I got this from the newsgroup. - Tony

Celts' Johnson stars in challenge

NBA All-Star Game Notebook/by Steve Bulpett
Sunday, February 10, 2002

PHILADELPHIA - Joe Johnson reminded himself of the basketball he should be
playing yesterday. And if his performance in the Rookie Challenge during NBA
All-Star Weekend carries over to the remainder of the season, the Celtics
will be much better off.``This was good for me,'' said Johnson after 12
points, seven rebounds, four assists and two steals in 21 minutes for the
Rookies in their 103-97 victory over the Sophomores. ``A lot of times when I
had
the ball in my hands, I was coming down, making plays and setting up my
teammates for good shots. That's what we need.''More important, that's what
Johnson needed. Far from the timid offensive player he's become with the
Celts - an issue that caused him to fall from the main rotation - the
6-foot-7 swingman launched 13 shots off the Rookies' bench, second-most on
the team. He made four of the attempts, including half of his four 3-point
tries. He
didn't shoot the ball the first time he touched it, but he did can a trey the
second time the rock found him.``There's no certain guy who you have to get
the ball to,'' Johnson said. ``You can do whatever you want. You play more
relaxed like that. I think it kind of helped me out.``I know this is for fun,
but this is for bragging rights and we won. I just wanted to come out and
win. It didn't matter who got the MVP (Golden State's Jason Richardson
did with 26 points), I just wanted to come out and play hard and hope we got
the victory.''Johnson's abilities did not escape Rookies coach Chuck
Daly.``He's very impressive,'' said the two-time coach of NBA champions with
Detroit. ``I'll tell you what he can do. He can really shoot the ball, which
we already knew. And he's got great instincts with the ball. He knows when to
drive the ball, when to pass the ball. He will be some player in the league.
I don't think they'll be able to hold him back. I think he's the third piece
of the puzzle in Boston.''

RAGGA MUFFIN