Thoughts on the Raptors game

Two main points... First, just a crushing loss. For three quarters, this
team did everything right-it defended, rebounded and overcame a lousy night
by its best player to still build a 12-point lead. To do so much right, on
the road, against a good team that has been playing well, was really
encouraging. When they defend and rebound, they can play with anyone.

BUT... The fourth quarter... I share Kestas' frustration. This team is
running on fumes right now. They've given everything they can give. They're
hurt, sick, but most of all, tired. The fatigue showed last night not just
physically, but mentally, when they made so many bad decisions down the
stretch. Bad shots, bad turnovers and failure to recognize the double team.
They've maxed out and need help, but I don't see them getting it. Chris
Wallace isn't going to do anything significant to this team until after next
season. It's really a shame, because the effort, the chemistry and most of
all, the opportunity is there-right now. The East is there for the taking.
We shouldn't assume things will remain the same a year or two from now.
Teams like New York and Miami have a lot of money and assets to improve.
Indiana is a rising power. Milwaukee isn't going anywhere. Philly will
bounce back. Toronto will be there. Washington and Chicago have promising
young big men. And New Jersey will be good as long as Kidd is there. The
time is now. Go for the ring.

The next month is brutal. The Celts could go from fourth to eighth in the
conference in the blink of an eye. Help is out there. It's time to go get
it. This reminds me so much of a baseball season-GMs in baseball talk about
the mental aspect of making a midseason trade, and how it can send a message
to the players that the management is as committed to winning as the players
are. These Celtic players aren't thinking about 2003. They believe they can
do some damage this year, and they're right-but they need a second-half
boost. I'm not saying mortgage the future for short-term help, but they
drafted three swingmen knowing eventually they'd have to sort out the
logjam. Maybe now's the time. Those expiring contracts make nice bait as
well.

These players deserve the full support of management this season. We can't
expect anything more from the players. It's time for Wallace to step up.

Mark